Evaluation of sepsis screen for diagnosis of neonatal septicemia
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Fifty clinically suspected cases of neonatal septicemia were studied for evaluating the role of sepsis screen. Sensitivity and specificity of C-reactive protein test, micro-ESR, gastric aspirate cytology for polymorphs and toxic granules in neutrophils were studied singly and in combinations of two and three tests. Positive blood culture was obtained in only 20% cases, thereby underlying the need for a sepsis screen in the diagnosis of neonatal septicemia, especially in areas where adequate micro-biological facilities are lacking.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Singh M, Paul VK, Deorari AK et al. Strategies which reduced sepsis related neonatal mortality.Indian J Pediatr 1988; 55: 955–960. CrossRef
- Khatua SP, Das AK, Chatterjee BD et al. Neonatal septicemia.Indian J Pediatr 1986; 53: 509–514.
- Bhakoo ON. Neonatal bacterial infections at Chandigarh—A decade of experience.Indian J Pediatr 1980; 47: 419–424.
- Monga K, Fernandez A, Deodhar L. Changing bacteriological patterns in neonatal septicemia.Indian J Pediatr 1986; 53: 505–508.
- Philip AGS, Hewitt JE. Early diagnosis of neonatal sepsis.Pediatr 1980; 65: 1036–1041.
- Singh M, Narang A, Bhakoo ON. Evaluation of a sepsis screen in the diagnosis of neonatal sepsis.Indian Pediatr 1987; 24: 39–43.
- Chandna A, Rao MN, Srinivas M et al. Rapid diagnostic tests in neonatal septicemia.Indian J Pediatr 1988; 55: 947–953. CrossRef
- Misra PK, Kumar R, Malik GK et al. Simple hematological tests for diagnosis of neonatal sepsis.Indian Pediatr 1989; 26: 156–159.
- Squire EN. Criteria for the discontinuation of antibiotic therapy during presumptive treatment of suspected neonatal infection.Pediatr Infect Dis 1982; 1: 85–90. CrossRef
- Haden RL. Qualitative changes in neutrophilic leucocytes.Am J Clin Pathol 1935; 5: 354–356.
- Xanthou M. Leucocyte blood picture in ill newborn babies.Arch Dis Child 1972; 47: 741–743. CrossRef
- Steigbiegel RT, Johnson PK, Remington JS. The nitroblue tetrazolium reduction test versus conventional hematology in the diagnosis of bacterial infections.N Engl J Med 1974; 290: 235–238. CrossRef
- Zipursky A, Palko J, Milner R et al. The haematology of bacterial infections in premature infants.Pediatr 1976; 57: 839–841.
- Desai N. Evaluation of laboratory parameters in early diagnosis of neonatal septicemia with special reference to C-reactive protein.Thesis AIIMS, 1984.
- Squire I, Favara B, Todd J. Diagnosis of neonatal bacterial infections. Hematologic and pathological findings in fatal and non fatal cases.Pediatr 1976; 64: 60–64.
About this Article
- Evaluation of sepsis screen for diagnosis of neonatal septicemia
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 60, Issue 4 , pp 559-563
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Neonatal septicemia
- Sepsis screen
- Early diagnosis
- Industry Sectors