Photosynthesis-irradiance relationship of phytoplankton and primary production in the vicinity of Kuroshio warm core ring in spring
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The light-saturated maximum value (P B max) and initial slope (α) of the photosynthesis-irradiance (P-E) curve were examined in a warm streamer, a cold streamer and a warm core ring off the Sanriku area in the subarctic western North Pacific Ocean during an ADEOS/OCTS Sanriku field campaign in early May 1997. BothP B max and α were within the ranges of temperate populations. A regional difference was apparent inP B max: populations in the warm streamer tended to show higher value ranging between 1.92 and 4.74 mgC (mgChla)−1h−1 than those in the cold streamer and the warm core ring (1.35–2.87 mgC (mgChla)−1h−1). A depth variation was also observed in α in both the warm streamer and the warm core ring: shallow populations tended to have lower α than deep populations. The depth variations in bothP B max and α resulted in a lower light intensity of the light saturation in a deeper population than that of a shallower one. These depth-related variations in the P-E parameters were likely a manifestation of “shade-adaptation” of photosynthesis. Photoinhibition was not observed over in situ surface light intensity varying below ca 1600 μmol photon m−2s−1. Water-column primary productivity was biooptically estimated to be 233 to 949 mgC m−2d−1 using vertical distributions of the P-E parameters, chlorophylla, phytoplankton light absorption and underwater irradiance. Applicability of surface data sets for estimation of water-column productivity is discussed.
- Aruga, Y., Y. Yokohama and M. Nakanishi (1968): Primary productivity studies in February–March in the northwestern Pacific off Japan.J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan,24, 275–280.
- Hama, T. (1992): Primary productivity and photosynthetic products around the Kuroshio warm core-ring.Deep-Sea Res.,39, S280-S293.
- Hama, T., Y. Miyazaki, Y. Ogawa, T. Iwakuma, M. Takahashi, A. Otsuki and S. Ichimura (1983): Measurement of photosynthetic production of a marine phytoplankton population using a stable13C isotope.Mar. Biol.,73, 31–36. CrossRef
- Harashima, A. and Y. Kikuchi (1991): Sea truth database for satellite chlorophyll analysis and its quasi-3D graphics.Kohsuiken Note,13, 9–14 (in Japanese).
- Harrison, W. G. and T. Platt (1986): Photosynthesis-irradiance relationships in polar and temperate phytoplankton populations.Polar Biol.,5, 153–164. CrossRef
- Ishimaru, T., H. Otobe, H. Hasumoto and T. Nakai (1984): OCTOPUS, an octoparameter underwater sensor, for use in biological oceanography studies.J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan,40, 207–212. CrossRef
- Ishizaka, J. (1998): Spatial distribution of primary production off Sanriku, northwestern Pacific, during spring estimated by Ocean Color and Temperature Scanner (OCTS).J. Oceanogr.,54, this volume, 553–564.
- Jassby, A. D. and T. Platt (1976): The relationship between photosynthesis and light for natural assemblages of coastal marine phytoplankton.J. Phycol.,12, 412–430.
- Kasai, H., H. Saito, A. Yoshimori and S. Taguchi (1997): Variability in timing and magnitude of spring bloom in the Oyashio region, the western subarctic Pacific off Hokkaido, Japan.Fish. Oceanogr.,6, 118–129. CrossRef
- Kawamura, H. (1998): OCTS mission overview.J. Oceanogr.,54, this volume, 383–399.
- Kishino, M., M. Takahashi, N. Okami and S. Ichimura (1985): Estimation of the spectral absorption coefficients of phytoplankton in the sea.Bull. Mar. Sci.,37, 634–642.
- Morel, A. (1991): Light and marine photosynthesis: a spectral model with geochemical and climatological implications.Prog. Oceanogr.,26, 263–306. CrossRef
- National Space Development Agency of Japan (1995):ADEOS Reference Handbook. 332 pp. National Space Development Agency of Japan, Tokyo.
- Saijo, Y. and S. Ichimura (1960): Primary production in the Northwestern Pacific Ocean.J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan,16, 139–145.
- Saino, T. and H. Goez (1997):Preliminary data report of the cruise KT-97-05 for the ADEOS Field Campaign. Institute for Hydrospheric-Atmospheric Sciences, Nagoya University, 35 pp.
- Shiomoto, A., K. Sasaki and S. Shimada (1996): Primary production and contribution of “new” production in the warm core ring and the cold streamer off Sanriku in May 1990.La mer,34, 1–9.
- Shiomoto, A., S. Hashimoto and T. Murakami (1998): Primary productivity and solar radiation off Sanriku in May 1997.J. Oceanogr.,54, this volume, 539–544.
- Shiomoto, A., K. Sasaki, S. Shimada and S. Matsumura (1994): Primary productivity in the offshore Oyashio in spring and summer 1990.J. Oceanogr.,50, 209–222. CrossRef
- Suzuki, R. and T. Ishimaru (1990): An Improved method for the determination of phytoplankton chlorophyll using N,N-Dimethylformamide.J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan,46, 190–194. CrossRef
- Takahashi, M. and S. Ichimura (1972): Some aspects of primary production in the northwestern Pacific Ocean. p. 218–229. InBiological Oceanography of the Northern North Pacific Ocean, ed. by A. Y. Takenouchiet al., Idemitsu Shoten, Tokyo.
- Talling, J. F. (1957): The phytoplankton population as a compound photosynthetic system.New Phytol.,56, 133–149. CrossRef
- Taniguchi, A. and T. Kawamura (1972): Primary production in the Oyashio region with special reference to the subsurface chlorophyll maximum layer and phytoplankton-zooplankton relationships. p. 231–243. InBiological Oceanography of the Northern North Pacific Ocean, ed. by A. Y. Takenouchiet al., Idemitsu Shoten, Tokyo.
- Waku, M. and K. Furuya (1998): Primary production and community respiration in a warm streamer associated with Kuroshio warm core ring in spring.J. Oceanogr.,54, this volume, 565–572.
- Yasuda, I., K. Okuda and M. Hirai (1992): Evolution of a Kuroshio warm core ring: variability of the hydrographic structure.Deep-Sea Res.,39, S131-S161.
- Yokouchi, K., A. Tomosada and Y. Matsuo (1997): Photosynthesis-light response curves in Kuroshio, Oyashio and the transition area off Tohoku. Bull.Tohoku Natl. Fish. Res. Inst.,59, 127–138.
- Photosynthesis-irradiance relationship of phytoplankton and primary production in the vicinity of Kuroshio warm core ring in spring
Journal of Oceanography
Volume 54, Issue 5 , pp 545-552
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- primary production
- P-E curve
- subarctic Pacific
- warm core ring
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Aquatic Bioscience, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Bunkyo, 113-8657, Tokyo, Japan
- 2. Faculty of Engineering, Soka University, Tangi, Hachioji, 192-0003, Tokyo, Japan