Cloning and identification of human syntaxin 5 as a synaptobrevin/VAMP binding protein
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Syntaxins are transmembrane proteins that function in regulating transport vesicle docking and fusion with target membranes in neuronal and nonneuronal cells. Vesicle docking is thought to be regulated in part by the specific interactions of syntaxin with a vesicle-associated membrane protein termed synaptobrevin/VAMP. We have cloned a 1557-bp cDNA that encodes the human syntaxin 5 isoform, using a combination of PCR and colony-screening methods. The deduced 301 amino-acid sequence of human syntaxin 5 shares 96% identity with rat syntaxin 5. Like rat syntaxin 1A, human syntaxin 5 binds to synaptobrevin/VAMP in vitro. The identification of human syntaxin 5 as a synaptobrevin/VAMP-binding protein supports the hypothesis that syntaxin 5 regulates protein transport by binding to vesicle-associated membrane proteins.
- Bennett M. K., Garcia-Arrarás J. E., Elferink L. A., Peterson K., Fleming A. M., Hazuka C. D., and Scheller R. H. (1993) The syntaxin family of vesicular transport receptors.Cell 74, 863–873. CrossRef
- Dascher C., Matteson J., and Balch W. E. (1994) Syntaxin 5 regulates endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi transport.J. Biol. Chem. 269, 29,363–29,366.
- Hata Y. and Südhof T. C. (1995) A novel ubiquitous form of Munc-18 interacts with multiple syntaxins.J. Biol. Chem. 270, 13,022–13,028.
- Ravichandran V., Chawla A., and Roche P. A. (1996) Identification of a novel syntaxin- and synaptobrevin/VAMP binding protein, SNAP-23, expressed in non-neuronal tissues.J. Biol. Chem. 271, 13,300–13,303.
- Rothman J. E. (1994) Mechanisms of intracellular protein transport.Nature 372, 55–63. CrossRef
- Cloning and identification of human syntaxin 5 as a synaptobrevin/VAMP binding protein
Journal of Molecular Neuroscience
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 159-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- vesicular transport
- Industry Sectors