Baboon sexual swellings and male response: A possible operational mammalian supernormal stimulus and response interaction
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Experimental work using coagulated masturbatory seminal emissions from nine adult male chacma baboons (Papio ursinus)as a dependent variable revealed that males show a greater sexual arousal response to female conspecifics exhibiting exaggerated perineal swellings. The menstrual cycles of the “superswollen” females did not differ in length or patterning from the controls. Since additional experimental work, including behavioral observations on females with normal and supersized swellings, failed to reveal differences in female proceptivity, the male’s increased arousal response appears dependent upon the perineal size per se.The males’ responses suggest that the supersized swellings may be an example of an operational visual supernormal stimulus and response interaction.
- Beach, F. A. (1942a). Analysis of the stimuli adequate to elicit mating behavior in the sexually inexperienced male rat.J. Comp. Psychol. 33: 163–207. CrossRef
- Beach, F. A. (1942b). Analysis of the factors involved in the arousal, maintenance and manifestation of sexual excitement in male animals.Psychosom. Med. 4: 173–198.
- Beach, F. A. (1976). Sexual attractivity, proceptivity and receptivity in female mammals.Horm. Behav. 7: 105–138. CrossRef
- Bielert, C. (1982). Experimental examinations of baboon (Papio ursinus) sex stimuli. In Snowdon, C.T., Brown, C.H., and Petersen, M.R. (ed.),Primate Communication, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp. 373–395.
- Bielert, C., and Girolami, L. (in press). Experimental assessments of behavioral and anatomical components of female chacma baboon (Papio ursinus) sexual attractiveness.Psychoneuroendocrinology.
- Bielert, C., and van der Walt, L. A. (1982). Male chacma baboon (Papio ursinus) sexual arousal: Mediation by visual cues from female conspecifics.Psychoneuroendocrinology 7: 31–48. CrossRef
- Bielert, C., Howard-Tripp, M. E., and van der Walt, L. A. (1980). Environmental and social factors influencing seminal emission in chacma baboons (Papio ursinus). Psychoneuroendocrinology 5: 287–303. CrossRef
- Czaja, J. A., Eisele, S. G., and Goy, R. W. (1975). Cyclical changes in the sexual skin of female rhesus: Relationships to mating behavior and successful artificial insemination.Fed. Proc. 34: 1680–1684.
- Czaja, J. A., Robinson, J. A., Eisele, S. G., Scheffler, G., and Goy, R. W. (1977). Relationship between sexual skin colour of female rhesus monkeys and midcycle plasma levels of oestradiol and progesterone.J. Reprod. Fert. 49: 147–150. CrossRef
- Darwin, C. R. (1890).The Descent of Man and Sexual Selection in Relation to Sex, 2nd ed., John Murray, London.
- Darwin, C. (1876). Sexual selection in relation to monkeys.Nature (Lond.) 15: 18–19.
- Dixson, A. F. (1983). Observations on the evolution and behavioral significance of “sexual skin” in female primates. In Rosenblatt, J.S., Hinde, R.A., Beer, C., and Busnel, M.-C. (ed.),Advances in the Study of Behavior, Vol. 13, Academic Press, New York, pp. 63–106.
- Gillman, J., and Gilbert, C. (1946). The reproductive cycle of the chacma baboon (Papio ursinus) with special reference to the problems of menstrual irregularities as assessed by the behaviour of the sex skin. 5.Afr. J. Med. Sci. Biol. Suppl. 11: 1–54.
- Grunt, J. A., and Young, W. C. (1953). Consistency of sexual behavior patterns in individual male guinea pigs following castration and androgen therapy.J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 46: 138–144. CrossRef
- Hall, K. R. L. (1962). The sexual, agonistic and derived social behaviour patterns of the wild chacma baboon,Papio ursinus. Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond. 139: 283–327.
- Hamilton, W. J. III, and Orians, G. H. (1965). Evolution of brood parasitism in altricial birds.Condor 67: 361–382. CrossRef
- Hausfater, G. (1975).Dominance and Reproduction in Baboons (@#@ Papio cynocephalus):A Quantitative Analysis, Karger, Basel.
- Hendrickx, A. G., and Kraemer, D. C. (1971). Methods. In Hendrickx, A.G. (ed.),Embryoology of the Baboon, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, pp. 31–44.
- Howard-Tripp, M. E., and Bielert, C. (1978). Social contact influences on the menstrual cycle of the female chacma baboon (Papio ursinus). J. S. Afr. Vet. Assoc. 49: 191–192.
- Kummer, H. (1968).Social Organization of Hamadryas Baboons: A Field Study, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Lehner, P. N. (1979).Handbook of Ethological Methods, Garland STPM Press, New York.
- Magnus, D. (1958). Untersuchungen zur Bionomie und Ethologie des Kaisermantels. Z.Tierpsychol. 15: 398–426.
- OsmanHill, W.C. (1970).Primates: Comparative Anatomy and Taxonomy, Vol. 6. Cynopithecinae — Papio, Mandrillus, Theropithecus, Edinburgh University Press, Edinburgh, 1970.
- Phoenix, C. H. (1973a). Sexual behavior in rhesus monkeys after vasectomy.Science 179: 493–494. CrossRef
- Phoenix, C. H. (1973b). Ejaculation by male rhesus as a function of the female partner.Horm. Behav. 4: 365–370. CrossRef
- Phoenix, C. H. (1977). Factors influencing sexual performance in male rhesus monkeys.J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 91: 697–710. CrossRef
- Phoenix, C. H. (1980). Copulation, dominance and plasma androgen levels in adult rhesus males born and reared in the laboratory.Arch. Sex. Behav. 9: 149–167. CrossRef
- Phoenix, C. H., and Alexander, N. J. (1979). Sexual behavior in long-term vasectomized male rhesus monkeys.Physiol. Behav. 22: 747–751. CrossRef
- Phoenix, C. H., and Jensen, J. J. (1973). Ejaculation by male rhesus in the absence of female partners.Horm. Behav. 4: 231–238. CrossRef
- Phoenix, C. H., Slob, A. K., and Goy, R. W. (1973). Effects of castration and replacement therapy on the sexual behavior of adult male rhesus.J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 84: 472–481. CrossRef
- Pocock, R. I. (1925). The external characteristics of the catarrhine monkeys and apes.Proc. Zool. Soc. Lond. 97: 1479–1579.
- Ransom, T. W. (1981).Beach Troop of the Gombe, Bucknell University Press, Lewisburg, Pa.
- Redican, W. K. (1975). Facial expressions in nonhuman primates.Prim. Behav. Dev. Field Lab. Res. 4: 109–194.
- Resko, J. A., and Phoenix, C. H. (1972). Sexual behavior and testosterone concentrations in the plasma of the rhesus monkey before and after castration.Endocrinology 91: 499–503. CrossRef
- Rowell, T. E. (1967). Female reproductive cycles and the behavior of baboons and rhesus macaques. In Altmann, S.A. (ed.),Social Communication Among Primates, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, pp. 15–32.
- Rowell, T. E. (1972). Female reproduction cycles and social behavior in primates. In Lehrman, D.S., Hinde, R.A., and Shaw, E. (ed.),Advances in the Study of Behavior, Vol. 4, Academic Press, New York, pp. 69–105.
- Saayman, G. S. (1970). The menstrual cycle and sexual behaviour in a troop of free-ranging chacma baboons (Papio ursinus). Folia primatol. 12: 81–110. CrossRef
- Seyfarth, R. M. (1978). Social relationships among adult male and female baboons. I. Behaviour during sexual consortship.Behaviour 64: 204–226.
- Shaikh, A. A., Celaya, C. L., Gomez, I., and Shaikh, S. A. (1982). Temporal relationship of hormonal peaks to ovulation and sex skin deturgescence in the baboon.Primates 23: 444–452. CrossRef
- Siegel, S. (1956).Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Tinbergen, N. (1948). Social releasers and the experimental method required for their study.Wilson Bull. 60: 6–52.
- Tinbergen, N. (1951).The Study of Instinct, Oxford University Press, London.
- Tinbergen, N., and Perdeck, A. C. (1950). On the stimulus situations releasing the begging response in the newly hatched herring gull (Larus argentatus Pont.).Behaviour 3: 1.39.
- Baboon sexual swellings and male response: A possible operational mammalian supernormal stimulus and response interaction
International Journal of Primatology
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 377-393
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Papio ursinus
- perineal swelling
- seminal emission
- sexual arousal
- supernormal stimulus