Home-range size and use and territorial behavior in the common marmoset,Callithrix jacchus jacchus, at the tapacura field station, recife, Brazil
- Robert C. Hubrecht
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Data were obtained both from observation and by radiolocation on the size and use of the home range of the common marmoset, Callithrix jacchus jacchus.Ranges were small compared to those of other callitrichids, varying between 0.72 to 1.62 ha, and a high proportion of the home range was used each day. The marmosets showed territorial behavior, defending an area almost equivalent to the home range. Despite this, mating between animals belonging to neighboring groups was seen. Correlations between the use of the home range and some environmental variables showed little consistency between two groups which occupied ranges of differing resource density, and their activity patterns, as measured by movement through their ranges, were also different. Possible reasons for these inconsistencies are discussed.
- Burl, W. H. (1943). Territoriality and home range concepts as applied to mammals.J. Mammal. 24: 346–352. CrossRef
- Dawson, G. A. (1979). The use of time and space by the Panamanian tamarinSaguinus oedipus.Folia primatol. 31: 253–284.
- Deag, G. M. (1973). Intergroup encounters in the wild Barbary macaqueMacaca sylvanus L. In Michael, R. P., and Crook, J. H. (eds.),Comparative Ecology and Behaviour of Primates, Academic Press, London and New York.
- Epple, G. (1967). Vergleichende Untersuchungen Brülhartber Sexual- und Sozialverhalten der Krallenaffen (Hapalidae).Folia primatol. 7: 37–65.
- Epple, G. (1968). Comparative studies on vocalization in marmoset monkeys (Hapalidae).Folia primatol. 8: 1–40.
- Epple, G. (1975). The behavior of marmoset monkeys (Callitrichidae). In Rosenbum, L. A. (ed.),Primate Behavior: Developments in Field and Laboratory Research, Vol. 4, Academic Press, New York, pp. 195–239.
- Hershkovitz, P. (1977).Living New World Monkeys (Platyrrhini), Vol. 1, University of Chicago Press, London.
- Hubrecht, R. C. (1984). Field observations on group size and composition of the common marmoset (Callithrix jacchus jacchus), at Tapacura, Brazil.Primates 25: 13–21. CrossRef
- Maier, W., Alonso, C., and Langguth, A. (1982). Field observations onCallithrix jacchus jaccus L.Z. SÄugetierkunde 47: 334–346.
- Martin, R. D. (1981). Field studies of primate behaviour.Symp. zool. Soc. Lond. 46: 287–336.
- Mitani, J. C., and Rodman, P. S. (1979). Territoriality: The relation of ranging pattern and home range size to defendability, with an analysis of territoriality among Primate species.Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 5: 241–251. CrossRef
- Mittermeier, R. A., Coimbra-Filho, A. F., and Van Roosmalen, M. G. M. (1978). Conservation status of wild callitrichids. In Rothe, H., Wolters, H. J., and Hearn, J. P. (eds.),Biology and Behaviour of Marmosets, Eigenverlag Hartmut Rothe, Göttingen, West Germany, pp. 17–39.
- Neu, C. W., Byers, C. R., and Peek, J. M. (1974). A technique for analysis of utilization-availability data.J. Wildl. Manag. 38: 541–545. CrossRef
- Pook, A. G. (1977).A Comparative Study of the Vocalisations of the Saddleback Tamarin, Saguinus fuscicollis,and the Common Marmoset, Callithrix jacchus (Callitrichidae, Primates), Ph.D. thesis, University of Reading, Reading.
- Rylands, A. B. (1981). Preliminary observations on the marmosetCallithrix humeralifer intermedius (Hershkovitz, 1977) at Dardanelos, Rio Aripuana, Mato Grosso.Primates 22: 46–59. CrossRef
- Soini, P. (1982). Ecology and population dynamics of the pygmy marmoset,Cebuella pygmaea.Folia primatol. 39: 1–21. CrossRef
- Stevenson, M. F., and Poole, T. B. (1976). An ethogram of the common marmoset,Callithrix jacchus jacchus: General behavioural repertoire.Anim. Behav. 24: 428–451. CrossRef
- Stevenson, M. F., and Rylands, A. B. (1985). The marmoset monkeys, genusCallithrix. In Mittermeier, R., and Coimbra-Filho, A. F. (eds.),Ecology and Behavior of Neotropical Primates, Vol. 2, Academica Brasiliera de Sciencias, Rio de Janeiro (in press).
- Waser, P. M. (1977). Individual recognition, intra-group cohesion and intergroup spacing: Evidence from sound playback to forest monkeys.Behaviour 60: 28–74.
- Woodcock, A. J. (1978). Allogrooming relationships in captive common marmosets (Callithrix jacchus jacchus). In Rothe, H., Wolters, H. J., and Hearn, J. P. (eds.),Biology and Behaviour of Marmosets, Eigenverlag Hartmut Rothe, Göttingen, West Germany, pp. 161–179.
- Home-range size and use and territorial behavior in the common marmoset,Callithrix jacchus jacchus, at the tapacura field station, recife, Brazil
International Journal of Primatology
Volume 6, Issue 5 , pp 533-550
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- common marmoset
- home range
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Reading, Building 3, Earley Gate, Whiteknights, RG6 2AL, Reading, UK