Size and structure of freely forming conversational groups
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Data from various settings suggest that there is an upper limit of about four on the number of individuals who can interact in spontaneous conversation. This limit appears to be a consequence of the mechanisms of speech production and detection. There appear to be no differences between men and women in this respect, other than those introduced by women’s lighter voices.
- Argyle, M., M. G. Lalljee, and M. Cook 1968 The Effects of Visibility on Interaction in a Dyad.Human Relations 21:3–17. CrossRef
- Beranek, L. L. 1954Acoustics. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Cohen, J. E. 1971Casual Groups of Monkeys and Men. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
- Kendon, A. 1967 Some Functions of Gaze in Social Interaction.Acta Psychologica 26:1–47. CrossRef
- Laaksonen, R., and A. Dornic 1990 Sex Differences in Tolerance for Noise. Reports from the Department of Psychology, University of Stockholm.
- Leavitt, M. J., and R. A. H. Mueller 1955 Some Effects of Feedback on Communication. InSmall Groups, A. P. Hare, E. F. Borgatta, and R. F. Bales, eds. Pp. 414–433. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Legget, R. F., and T. D. Northwood 1960 Noise Surveys of Cocktail Parties.Journal of the Statistical Society of America 32:16–18.
- Morton, G. W. 1977 On the Occurrence and Significance of Motivation—Structural Rules in Some Bird and Mammal Sounds.American Naturalist 111:855–869. CrossRef
- Ohala, J. J. 1983 Cross-language Use of Pitch: An Ethological View.Phonetica 40:1–18. CrossRef
- Philips, S. U. 1976 Some Sources of Cultural Variability in the Regulation of Talk.Language in Society 5:81–95. CrossRef
- Sommer, R. 1961 Leadership and Group Geometry.Sociometry 24:99–110. CrossRef
- Steinzor, B. 1955 The Spatial Factor in Face-to-face Discussion Groups. InSmall Groups, A. P. Hare, E. F. Borgatta, and R. F. Bales, eds. Pp. 348–352. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.
- Watson, O. M. 1970Proxemic Behaviour: A Cross-Cultural Study. The Hague: Mouton.
- Webster, J. C. 1965 Speech Communications as Limited by Ambient Noise.Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 37:692–699. CrossRef
- Size and structure of freely forming conversational groups
Volume 6, Issue 1 , pp 67-78
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Group size
- Speech detection