Dengue virus infection among children with undifferentiated fever in Karachi
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sera were collected from a total of 122 children, comprising 117 cases with undifferentiated fever and 5 cases with dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF), during June to September 1994 in Karachi, Pakistan. Sera were tested by the IgM-capture ELISA using dengue type 1 (D1), dengue type 2 (D2), West Nile (WN), and Japanese encephalitis (JE) viral antigens. Among 92 single sera from undifferentiated fever cases, IgM antibodies were detected in 5 cases by D1, 8 cases by D2, and 5 cases by WN antigens, respectively. Corresponding number of positives among 25 paired sera from undifferentiated fever cases were 3 by D1, 6 by 02, and 1 by WN antigen. Four out of 5 DHF cases possessed anti-D1 as well as anti-D2 IgM antibodies. Only a single DHF case was positive for anti-WN IgM antibodies. Anti-JE IgM antibodies were not detected in any of the tested serum specimens.
Clinical manifestations of undifferentiated fever patients were generally non specific, but the percentage of children with anemia, hepatomegaly and splenomegaly was higher in patients possessing anti-dengue IgM antibodies than those without. Among the groups with anti-dengue IgM antibodies, those possessing only anti-D2 but not anti-D1 IgM antibodies showed higher percentages with cough, edema, and splenomegaly.
The results indicated that up to 26% of the undifferentiated fever cases were caused by dengue virus infection in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Mosquitoborne hemorrhagic fevers of Southeast Asia and Western Pacific. Bull WHO 35: pp. 17-33
- Halstead, SB (1980) Dengue haemorrhagic fever A public health problem and a field for research. Bull WHO 58: pp. 1-21
- Halstead, SB (1992) The XXth century dengue pandemic : need for surveillance and research. Wld Hlth Statist Quart 45: pp. 292-298
- Westaway, EG, Brinton, MA, Gaidamovich, (1985) Flaviviridae. Intervirology 24: pp. 183-192 CrossRef
- Wengler G. Family Flaviviridae. In : R.I. B. Francki, In R.I. B. Francki, C.M. Fauquet, D.L. Knudson, F. Brown (eds.).Classification and Nomenclature of Viruses : Springer-Verlag, Wien, New York.Arch Virol Suppl 2, pp 223–233.
- Rice, CM, Lenches, EM, Eddy, SR, Shin, SJ, Sheets, RL, Strauss, JH (1985) Nucleotide sequence of yellow fever virus : implications for flavivirus gene expression and evolution. Science 299: pp. 726-733 CrossRef
- Rudnick, A, Marchettes, NJ, Garcia, R (1967) Possible jungle dengue recent studies and hypothesis. Jpn J Med Sci Biol 20: pp. 69-74
- Sumarmo, Wulur H, Jahja, E, Gubler, DJ, Sutomenggolo, TS, Sulianti, Saroso J (1978) Encephalopathy associated with dengue infection. Lancet 1: pp. 449-450 CrossRef
- Banerjee, K (1990) Dengue fever in rural areas of Maharashtra and Gujarat States in India. Dengue News 15: pp. 3-5
- Mehardale, SM, Risbud, AR (1991) Outbreak of dengue fever in rural areas of Parbhani district of Maharashtra (India). Ind J Med Res (A) 93: pp. 6-11
- Uddin, MJ, Jalee, S, Sharma, RS, Veghee, T (1992) Dengue fever/dengue haemorrhagic fever outbreak in Shahjahanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India, 1992. Dengue News Letter 18: pp. 2-3
- Chan, YC, Salahuddin, NI, Khan, J, Tan, HC, Seah, CLK, Li, J, Chow, VTK (1995) Dengue haemorrhagic fever outbreak in Karachi, Pakistan, 1994. Trans R Soc Trap Med Hyg 89: pp. 619-620 CrossRef
- Wilson MB, and Nakane PK. Recent development in the peroxidase method of conjugating horseradish peroxidase (HRPO) to antibodies. In : W Knapp, K Holubar, and G, Wick (eds).Immunofluorescence and Related Stainwg Teehniques. Elsevier/North Holland ’ Biochemicals Press, Amsterdam pp. 215–224.
- Morita, K, Tanaka, M, Arid, Igarashi A (1991) Rapid indentification of dengue virus serotypes by using polymerase chain reaction. J Clin Microbiol 29: pp. 2107-2110
- Bundo, K, Igarashi, A (1985) Antibodycapture /ELISA for detection of immunoglobulin M antibodies in sera from Japanese encephalitis and dengue hemorrhagic fever patients. J Virol Method 11: pp. 15-22 CrossRef
- Dengue virus infection among children with undifferentiated fever in Karachi
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 65, Issue 5 , pp 735-740
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Ondifierentiated fever
- Dengue virus
- Industry Sectors