Pulse corticosteroid therapy with methylprednisolone or dexamethasone
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Intravenous pulse steroid therapy consists of administration of supraphysiological doses of glucocorticoids. It is useful in conditions where rapid immunosuppression and antiinflammatory effect is desired, as in systemic lupus erythematosus, pemphigus, renal transplantation, steroid resistant nephrotic syndrome and crescentic glomerulonephritis. This therapy may be associated with significant adverse reactions including hypertension, arrhythmias, hypokalemia, psychosis and infections. High dose steroid therapy should therefore be used in selected cases and under careful supervision. The drug most widely used for this treatment is methylprednisolone. However, in view of its easy availability and cost, dexamethasone has been often used in India for the above conditions. While there are no controlled studies comparing the two drugs, it appears that the two drugs may be similar in efficacy. Patients requiring high dose intravenous steroid therapy may be treated effectively with either methylprednisolone or dexamethasone.
- Ontjes DA. Adrenal corticosteroids. In: Munson PL, ed.Principles of Pharmacology : Basic Concepts and Clinical Application. Chapman and Hall, New York, 1995; 749–787.
- Wilson JW. Cellular localisation of 3H-labelled corticosteroids by electron microscopic autoradiography after hemorrhagic shock. In: Glenn TM, ed.Steroids and Shock. Baltimore : University Park Press. 1974; 275–99.
- Quandt CM and Reyes RA. Pharmacologic management of acute intracranial hypertension.Drug Intell & Clin Pharma 1984; 18:105.
- Pasricha JA, Khaitan BK, Shantha Raman R, Chandra M. Dexamethasone cyclophosphamide pulse therapy for pemphigus.Int J Dermatol 1995; 34: 875–882. CrossRef
- Anderson JC. Response of resistant idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura to pulsed high-dose dexamethasone therapy.N Engl J Med 1994; 330:1560–1564. CrossRef
- Sprung CL, Panagiota V, Caralis MD,et al. The effects of high dose corticosteroids in patients with septic shock.N Engl J Med 1984; 311:18, 1137–1143. CrossRef
- Schummer JC. Steroids in treatment of clinical septic shock.Ann Surg 1976; 184: 333–341. CrossRef
- Pulse corticosteroid therapy with methylprednisolone or dexamethasone
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 65, Issue 4 , pp 557-560
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Pulse therapy
- Adverse reactions
- Industry Sectors