Kinase inhibitors translate lab discoveries into exciting new cures for cancers
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Genetic mutations can lead to abnormal activation of certain kinases that in turn lead to excessive cell division seen in cancers. Inhibitors of over activated kinases can theoretically inhibit cancer causing pathways and result in tumor shrinkage. These discoveries have sparked a revolution in drug discovery with many small molecule kinases inhibitors now being used in cancer clinical trials. The amazing success of Imatinib, a blocker of the bcr-abl kinase in chronic myeloid leukemia has shown that the drugs based on these strategies can improve cure rates in cancer. In this article, the authors review the concepts of kinase inhibition in cancer and principles behind the success of imitanib. The authors also review other promising kinase inhibitors being used in clinical trials that are expected to aid the fight against cancer.
- Goldman JM. Therapeutic strategies for chronic myeloid leukemia in the chronic (stable) phase.Semin Hematol 2003; 40: 10.
- Druker BJ, Tamura S, Buchdunger E, Ohno S, Segal GM, Fanning Set al. Effects of a selective inhibitor of the Abl tyrosine kinase on the growth ofbcr-abl positive cells.Nat Med 1996; 2: 561. CrossRef
- Kantarjian H, Sawyers C, Hochhaus A, Guilhot F, Schiffer C, Gambacorti-Passerini Cet al. Hematologic and cytogenetic responses to imatinib mesylate in chronic myelogenous leukemia.N Engl J Med 2002; 346: 645. CrossRef
- O’Brien SG, Guilhot F, Larson RA, Gathmann I, Baccarani M, Cervantes Fet al. Imatinib compared with interferon and low-dose cytarabine for newly diagnosed chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia.N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 994. CrossRef
- Sawyers CL, Hochhaus A, Feldman E, Goldman JM, Miller CB, Ottmann OGet al. Imatinib induces hematologic and cytogenetic responses in patients with chronic myelogenous leukemia in myeloid blast crisis: results of a phase II study.Blood 2002; 99: 3530. CrossRef
- Talpaz M, Silver RT, Druker BJ, Goldman JM, Gambacorti-Passerini C, Guilhot Fet al. Imatinib induces durable hematologic and cytogenetic responses in patients with accelerated phase chronic myeloid leukemia: results of a phase II study.Blood 2002:99 : 1928. CrossRef
- Weisberg E, Griffin JD. Mechanism of resistance to the ABL tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 in BCR/ABL-transformed hematopoietic cell lines.Blood 2000; 95: 3498.
- Gorre ME, Mohammed M, Ellwood K, Hsu N, Paquette R, Na Rao PNet al. Clinical resistance to STI-571 cancer therapy caused by BCR-ABL gene mutation or amplification.Science 2001; 293: 876. CrossRef
- Donato NJ, Wu JY, Stapley J, Gallick G, Lin H, Arlinghaus Ret al. BCR-ABL independence and LYN kinase overexpression in chronic myelogenous leukemia dells selected for resistance to STI571.Blood 2003; 101: 690. CrossRef
- Gambacorti-Passerini CB, Gunby RH, Piazza R, Galietta A, Rostagno R, Scapozza L. Molecular mechanisms of resistance to imatinib in Philadelphia-chromosome-positive leukaemias.Lancet Oncol 2003; 4: 75. CrossRef
- Blagosklonny MV. STI-571 must select for drug-resistant cells but ’no cell breathes fire out of its nostrils like a dragon’.Leukemia 2002; 16: 570. CrossRef
- Nagar B, Bornmann WG, Pellicena P, Schindler T, Veach DR, Miller WTet al. Crystal structures of the kinase domain of c-Abl in complex with the small molecule inhibitors PD173955 and imatinib (STI-571).Cancer Res 2002; 62: 4236.
- Demetri GD. Targeting c-kit mutations in solid tumors: scientific rationale and novel therapeutic options.Semin Oncol 2001; 28: 19. CrossRef
- Demetri GD, vonMehren M, Blanke CD, Van denAbbeele AD, Eisenberg Bet al. Efficacy and safety of imatinib mesylate in advanced gastrointestinal stromal tumors.N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 472. CrossRef
- Cools J, DeAngelo DJ, Gotlib J, Stover EH, Legare RD, Cortes Jet al A tyrosine kinase created by fusion of the PDGFRA and FIP1L1 genes as a therapeutic target of imatinib in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome.N Engl J Med 2003; 348: 1201. CrossRef
- Apperley JF, Gardembas M, Melo JV, Russell-Jones R, Bain BJ, Baxter EJet al. Response to imatinib mesylate in patients with chronic myeloproliferative diseases with rearrangements of the platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta.N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 481. CrossRef
- Shawver LK, Slamon D, Ullrich A. Smart drugs: tyrosine kinase inhibitors in cancer therapy.Cancer Cell 2002; 1: 117. CrossRef
- Grunwald V, Hidalgo M. Developing inhibitors of the epidermal growth factor receptor for cancer treatment.J Natl Cancer Inst 2003; 95: 851.
- Slamon DJ, Leyland-Jones B, Shak S, Fuchs H, Paton V, Bajamonde Aet al. Use of chemotherapy plus a monoclonal antibody against HER2 for metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses HER2.N Engl J Med 2001; 344: 783. CrossRef
- Kelly K, Averbuch S. Gefitinib: phase II and III results in advanced non-small cell lung cancer.Semin Oncol 2004; 31: 93. CrossRef
- Giaccone G, Herbst RS, Manegold C, Scagliotri G, Rosell R, Miller Vet al. Gefitinib in combination with gemcitabine and cisplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III trial—INTACT 1.J Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 777. CrossRef
- Herbst RS, Giaccone G, Schiller JH, Natale RB, Miller V, Manegold Cet al. Gefitinib in combination with paclitaxel and carboplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: a phase III trial—INTACT 2.J Clin Oncol 2004; 22: 785. CrossRef
- Hidalgo M, Siu LL, Nemunaitis J, Rizzo J, Hammond LA, Takimoto Cet al. Phase I and pharmacologic study of OSI-774, an epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with advanced solid malignancies.JClin Oncol 2001; 19: 3267.
- Ciardiello F, De Vita F, Orditura M, De Placido S, Tortora G. Epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors in late stage clinical trials.Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 2003; 8: 501. CrossRef
- Folkman J. Angiogenesis inhibitors: a new class of drugs.Cancer Biol Ther 2003; 2: S127.
- Garber K. Research retreat: Pfizer eliminates Sugen, shrinks cancer infrastructure.J Natl Cancer lnst 2003; 95: 1036. CrossRef
- Yang JC, Haworth L, Sherry RM, Hwu P, Schwartzentruber DJ, Topalian SLet al. A randomized trial of bevacizumab, an anti-vascular endothelial growth factor antibody, for metastatic renal cancer.NEngl J Med 2003; 349: 427. CrossRef
- Gilliland DG, Griffin JD. The roles of FLT3 in hematopoiesis and leukemia.Blood 2002; 100: 1532. CrossRef
- Levis M, Allebach J, Tse KF, Zheng R, Baldwin BR, Smith BDet al. A FLT3-targeted tyrosine kinase inhibitor is cytotoxic to leukemia cellsin vitro and in vivo.Blood 2002; 99: 3885. CrossRef
- Propper DJ, McDonald AC, Man A, Thavasu P, Balkwill F, Braybrooke JPet al. Phase I and pharmacokinetic study of PKC412, an inhibitor of protein kinase C.J Clin Oncol 2001; 19: 1485.
- O’Farrell AM, Abrams TJ, Yuen HA, Ngai TJ, Louie SGet al. SU11248 is a novel FLT3 tyrosine kinase inhibitor with potent activityin vitro and in vivo.Blood 2003; 101: 3597. CrossRef
- Kinase inhibitors translate lab discoveries into exciting new cures for cancers
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 71, Issue 8 , pp 713-718
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Kinase inhibitors
- Industry Sectors