Customer evaluation of retail salespeople utilizing the SOCO scale: A replication, extension, and application
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Measuring retail salesperson performance is a critical, though relatively neglected research issue. We suggest that the SOCO scale may be an appropriate tool for measuring salesperson performance from the buyer’s perspective. Therefore, a replication of the SOCO scale was undertaken by having consumers evaluate retail salespeople. The SOCO scale items were slightly modified to fit the consumer sample and retail focus of the study. In addition, the number of points on the SOCO response scale was also reduced and the verbal anchors modified to better suit the needs of telephone surveys. Despite these changes, the properties of the scale were found to be strikingly similar to those reported in prior studies. It was recommended that retailers adopt the SOCO scale to measure salesperson performance.
- Bush, Robert P., Alan J. Bush, David J. Ortinau, and Joseph F. Hair, Jr. 1990. “Developing a Behavior Based Scale to Asses Retail Salesperson performance.”Journal of Retailing 66 (Spring): 119–136.
- Folkes, Valerie and Barbara Kotsos. 1986. “Buyers’ and Sellers’ Explanations for Product Failure: Who Done It?”Journal of Marketing 50 (April): 74–80. CrossRef
- Hampton, Ron, Alan J. Dubinsky, and Steven J. Skinner. 1986. “A Model of Sales Supervisor Leadership Behavior and Retail Salespeople’s Job-Related Outcomes.”Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science 14 (Fall): 33–43. CrossRef
- Houston, Franklin. 1986. “The Marketing Concept: What It Is and What It Is Not.”Journal of Marketing 50 (April): 81–87. CrossRef
- Levitt, Theodore. 1981. “Marketing Intangible Products and Product Intangibles.”Harvard Business Review 81 (May/June): 94–102.
- Mason, J. Barry, M. L. Mayer, and H. F. Ezell. 1988.Retailing. Plano, TX: Business Publications.
- Michaels, Ronald and Ralph Day. 1985. “Measuring Customer Orientation of Salespeople: A Replication With Industrial Buyers.”Journal of Marketing Research 22 (November): 443–446. CrossRef
- Resnik, Alan and Ronald Harmon. 1983. “Consumer Complaints and Managerial Response: A Holistic Approach.”Journal of Marketing 47 (Winter): 86–97. CrossRef
- Saxe, Robert and Barton Weitz. 1982. “The SOCO Scale: A Measure of the Customer Orientation of Salespeople.”Journal of Marketing Research 19 (August): 343–351. CrossRef
- Customer evaluation of retail salespeople utilizing the SOCO scale: A replication, extension, and application
Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science
Volume 19, Issue 4 , pp 347-351
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors