Autoimmune hemolytic anemia complicating disseminated childhood tuberculosis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An 8-year-old girl presented with severe autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA) in association with mediastinal widening. Biopsy of mediastinal lymph node confirmed the diagnosis of tuberculosis. A diagnosis of disseminated tuberculosis in association with AIHA was made, and the patient was treated with steroids and antitubercular therapy. This is the first report case of AIHA in association with childhood tuberculosis; we also discuss other reported cases of AIHA in association with adult tuberculosis in English literature
- Glasser RM, Walker RI, Herion JC. The significance of hematologic abnormalities in patients with tuberculosis.Arch Intern Med 1970; 125: 691–695. CrossRef
- Marino R, Muniz-Diaz E, Arilla M, Ibanez M, Altes A, Guanyabens C, Madoz P. Combined autoimmune cytopenias.Hematologica 1995; 80: 305–310.
- Al-Majed SA, Al-Momen AK, Al-Kassimi FA, Al-Zeer A, Kambal AM, Baaqil H. Tuberculosis presenting as immune thrombocytopenia purpura.Acta Haematol 1995; 94:135–138. CrossRef
- Robinson MG, Foadi M. Hemolytic anemia with positive Coombs’ test. Association with isoniazid therapy.JAMA 1969; 208:656–658. CrossRef
- Covic A, Goldsmith DJ, Segall L, Stoicesu C, Lungu S, Volovat C, Covic M. Rifampicin-induced acute renal failure: a series of 60 patients.Nephrol Dial Transplant 1998; 13: 924–929. CrossRef
- Letona JM, Barbolla L, Frieyro E, Bouza E, Gilsanz F, Fernandez MN. Immune hemolytic anemia and renal failure induced by streptomycin.Br J Haematol 1977; 35: 561–571.
- Cameron SJ. Tuberculosis and the blood: a special relationship?Tubercle 1974; 55: 55–57. CrossRef
- Semchyshyn S, Cecutti A. Abdominal pregnancy complicated by genital and renal tuberculosis and hemolytic anemia.Fertil Steril 1975; 26:1142–1145.
- Murray HW. Transient autoimmune hemolytic anemia and pulmonary tuberculosis.N Engl J Med 1978; 299: 488.
- Kim SW, Choi SW, Cho BK, Huoh W, Lee JW. Tuberculosis cutis orificialis: an association with Evan’s syndrome.Acta Derm Venereol 1995; 75: 84–85.
- Siribaddana S, Wijesundara A. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia responding to antituberculous treatment.Tropical Doctor 1997; 27:243–244.
- Blanche P, Rigolet A, Massault D, Bouscary D, Dreyfus F, Sicard D. Autoimmune hemolytic anemia revealing miliary tuberculosis.J Infect 2000; 40:292. CrossRef
- Kuo PH, Yang PC, Kuo SS, Luh KT. Severe immune hemolytic anemia in disseminated tuberculosis with response to antituberculosis therapy.Chest 2001; 119:1961–1963. CrossRef
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia complicating disseminated childhood tuberculosis
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 71, Issue 6 , pp 549-551
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia
- Mediastinal lymph node
- Disseminated tuberculosis
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Hematology Oncology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 2. Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 4. Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India