Current status of polio eradication and future prospects
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The launch and the progress of global polio eradication initiative lead to a world wide decline of polio cases during the last few years. India shared this progress till 2001, when the number of reported cases were 268. Reversing this trend India reported 1599 cases during 2002 thereby accounting for nearly 87% of cases detected globally. Strategies for polio eradication are being revised after realizing that strategies such as fixed booth approach have not been sufficient to interrupt wild polio virus transmission. Increased number of NIDs and additional SNIDs are being planed to reach the previously unreached children. Low literacy levels, high poverty and resistance for OPV immunization in certain areas has further compounded the problem. As the progress in India is critical for the global polio eradication, maintenance of high routine immunization coverage, monitoring of SIA quality, AFP surveillance and laboratory investigations are vital for a successful outcome of this initiative.
Supplementary Material (0)
- CDC-Progress towards global eradication of poliomyelitis, 1997.MMWR 1998; 47:414–419.
- Mudur G. India launches massive polio vaccine programme.Brit Med J 2003; 326: 354. CrossRef
- Banerjee K, Hlady WG, Andrus JK, Sarkar S, Fitzsimmons J, Abeykoon P. Poliomyelitis surveillance: the model used in India for polio eradication.Bull WHO 2000; 78: 321–329.
- Pulse polio immunization in India: revised operational guidelines for intensification in 1999-2000. New Delhi, Ministry of Health and Family welfare, Maternal and Child Health Division, 1999.
- CDC-Progress towards polio eradication, India 2002.MMWR 2003; 52:172–175.
- Andrus JK, Banerjee K, Hull BP, Smith JC, Mochny I. Polio eradication in the World Health Organization South East Asia Region by the year 2000: midway assessment of progress and future challenges.J Infect Dis 1997; 175 (suppl 1) S89-S96.
- Summary of sixth meeting of the India Expert Advisory group for Polio Eradication.AFP Alert 2002, Vol 6.
- John TJ, Thacker N, Deshpande JM. Setbacks in polio eradication in India: reasons and remedies (under publicationIndian Pediatr).
About this Article
- Current status of polio eradication and future prospects
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 71, Issue 3 , pp 241-245
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Global Polio Eradication
- Industry Sectors