Skin cleansing in neonates and infants-basics of cleansers
- Gulrez Tyebkhan
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Objective: Using a proper cleanser for bathing neonatal and infant skin is of prime importance considering the anatomical differences with regard to adult skin. Choosing the right cleanser requires knowledge of the composition of a cleanser as well as the properties of the individual ingredients.Methods: The article discusses the guidelines for cleansing the skin of neonates and infants. The characteristics of an ideal cleanser for pediatric skin have also been enumerated.Results: In India, majority of cleansers recommended for babies do not mention their active ingredients. Their claims of “mildness” have not been substantiated with clinical studies. Cetaphil, a non-soap, lipid-free liquid cleanser, has been clinically proven to be non-irritating by the Chamber Scarification Test. Moreover, Cetaphil also has a pH of less than 7, which does not alter the physiological pH of skin.Conclusion: Hence, Cetaphil should definitely be considered while choosing a cleanser for neonates and infants.
- Siegfried E. Neonatal skin and skin care.Dermatology Clinics 1998; 16:3. CrossRef
- Giusti F, Martella Aet al. Skin barrier, hydration and pH of the skin of infants under 2 years of age.Pediatric Dermatology 2001; 18 (2): 93–96. CrossRef
- Gelmetti C. Skin cleansing in paediatric age.The Pharmaq/ Journal of Skin Disorders Vol. 5 No. 1:16–22.
- Kenneth Arndt.Manual of Dermatologic Therapeutics 1995; 5th edn. 1983.
- Oestreicher M. Detergents, bath preparations and other skin cleansers.Clinics in Dermatology 1998; 6 (3): 29–36. CrossRef
- Griffith WAD, Wilkinson JD. Topical agents. In Champion RH, Bums DA, Breathnath SM, eds.Textbook of Dermatology. 6th edn. Blackwall Science; 1998; 4 : 3519-351.
- Tyebkhan G. A study in the pH of the various soaps available in the Indian market.Indian Journal of Dermatology Vemerology Leprol 2001; 67 (3): 290–291.
- Skin cleansing in neonates and infants-basics of cleansers
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 69, Issue 9 , pp 767-769
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Gulrez Tyebkhan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Glederma India, 23 Steelmade Industrial Estate, Marol Village Andheri (E), 400059, Mumbai, India