Miltefosine: An oral drug for visceral leishmaniasis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Miltefosine, a phosphocholine analogue originally developed as antimalignant drug, has been found to be highly active against leishmaniain vitro and animal model. 1,2 Based on these experiences this drug was tried against human visceral leishmaniasis and found to be highly effective and achieved 97% and 94% cure in phase 2 and phase 3 trial in children.
- Croft SL, Neal RA, Pendergast W, Chan JH. The activity of alkylphosphocholines and related deravatives against Leishmania donovani. Biochemical Parasitai 1987; 2633–2636.
- Kuhlencord A, Maniera T, Eibl H, Unger C. Hexadecyl Phosphocholine; oral treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in mice. Antimicrobial agents and Chemotherapy 1992; 36: 1630–1634.
- Bora D. Epidemiology of visceral leishmaniasis in India.Nat Med J India 1999; 12: 62–67.
- Anon, 1998. Tropical Diseases Reaserch Progress 1997–1998, Fourteenth Programme Report — Leishmaniasis, PP. 1–22.
- Jendrossek V, Handrick R. Mmebrane Targeted Anticancer Drugs: Potent Ihducer of Apoptosis and putative Radiosesis.Curr med Chem Anti-Cane Agents 2003; 3(5): 343–353. CrossRef
- Sunder S, Jha TK, Thakur CP, Engel J, Sindermann H, Fischer C, Junge K, Bryceson A, Berman J. Oral Miltefosine for Indian Visceral leishmaniasis.N Engl J Med 2002; 347: 1739–1746. CrossRef
- Hanson PK, Malone L, Birchmore JL, Nichols JW. Lern 3 p is essential for the uptake and potecy of alkylphosphocholine drugs, edelfosine and miltefosine.J Bid Chem 2003; 5(2): 1324–1331.
- Perez-Victoria FJ, Castanys S, Gamaroo F. Leishmania donovani resistance to miltefosine involves a defective inward translocation of the drug. Antimicrobiol Agents Chemother. 2003; 47: 2397–2403. CrossRef
- Sunder S, Jha TK, Sindermann H, Bachmann P, Berman J. Oral miltefosine in children with mild to moderate Indian Visceral leishmanisis.Pediatr Infect Dis J 2003; 22(5): 434–438. CrossRef
- Miltefosine: An oral drug for visceral leishmaniasis
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 71, Issue 2 , pp 143-144
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Visceral leishmaniasis (VL)
- Industry Sectors