Intra-individual difference between recumbent length and stature among growing children
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective Difference between recumbent length and stature in an individual has been observed by many researchers in the past in European and American populations. The present study explores the intra-individual differences between recumbent length and stature (R.L.-Stature).Methods: A sample of 920 school going children was considered in Chandigarh city.Result: These differences are found to be statistically significant and have definite relationship with age and weight of the children. The mean difference between recumbent length and stature is found to be greater in males than in females between 5 through 10 years and between 15 through 18 years of age. However, between 10 through 15 years, it was greater in females than in males.Conclusion: This was largely due to the fact that adolescent spurt in stature preceded by two to three years in girls than that of boys. This difference was also found to be significantly correlated with age, weight and stature in both the sexes. Two regression equations are derived separately for the two sexes, from which, one can convert recumbent length into stature and vice-versa
- Scammon S, Calkins L.The Development and Growth of the External Dimensions of the Human Body in the Fetal Period; University Minn Press; 1929 :225-260.
- Schwartz L, Britten R, Thompson L. Studies in physical development and posture, I-III.Pub Health Bull 1928 ; 179: 123–167. Washington
- Schwartz L, Britten R, Thompson L. Studies in physical develpoment and posture, IVPub Health Bull 1931 ; 199: 126–170. Washington
- Palmer CE. The relationship of erect body length to supine body length.Hum Biol 1932; 4: 262–320.
- Vickers VS, Stuart HC. Anthropometry in the Pediatrician’s office — norms for selected body measurements based on studies of North Euopean stock.J Fed 1943; 22: 55–170.
- Sempe′ M, Masse NP. Methodes de measures et resultats. 20, Congre’s des Pediatres de Langue Francaise.Nanq 1965; 2: 21–95.
- McCammon RW.Human Growth and Development. Springfield, III. Charles C. Thomas, 1970; 295–305.
- Roche AF, Davila GH. Differences between recumbent length and stature within individuals.Growth 1974; 38: 313–320.
- Weiner JS, Lourie JA.Human Biology — A Guide to Field Methods. Oxford and Edinburgh, Blackwell Scientific Publications. 1969; 147–200.
- Intra-individual difference between recumbent length and stature among growing children
The Indian Journal of Pediatrics
Volume 69, Issue 7 , pp 565-569
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Recumbent length
- Industry Sectors