Democracy, economic crisis and the problem of governance: The case of Bolivia
- James M. Malloy
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article examines the political context within which the Bolivian government of Víctor Paz Estenssoro (1985–1989) launched, implemented, and sustained a draconian neoliberal economic stabilization program. The article argues that the key to the successful economic program was the political skill and leadership of President Paz, in particular, his ability to negotiate a political pact with the main opposition party. Finally, the article ponders the tensions and contradictions between neoliberal economic policies and the process of consolidating democracy in a context of extreme economic crisis.
- Arauco, María Isabel Acción social de los sectores medios: El caso de la burocracia estatal. In: Laserna, Roberto eds. (1985) Crisis, democracia y conflicto social. CERES, Cochabama, pp. 165-202
- Arendt, Hannah (1965) On revolution. Viking Press, New York
- BRIDGES, TYLER 1987 Setting free the market.The Dartmouth Alumni Magazine. October.
- Pensamiento de la empresa privada: 1982–1985. C.E.P.B., La Paz, Bolivia
- Chalmers, Douglas A. Parties and society in Latin America. In: Schmidt, J. eds. (1977) Friends, followers, and factions. University of California Press, Berkeley
- Conaghan, Catherine, Malloy, James M., Abugattas, Luis (1990) Business and the boys. The origins of neoliberalism in the central Andes. Latin American Research Review 25: pp. 3-30
- ECONOMIST MAGAZINE 1987 Bolivia: For our next miracle…22 August.
- GAMARRA, EDUARDO 1987 Political stability, democratization and the Bolivian National Congress. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Pittsburgh.
- Huntington, Samuel P. (1968) Political order in changing societies. Yale University Press, New Haven
- La nueva política económica. Foro económico. I.L.D.E.S., La Paz, Bolivia
- LINZ, JUAN J. 1987 Democracy, presidential or parliamentary: Does it make a difference? Prepared for presentation at the 83rd Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association. Chicago, Ill. 3–6 September.
- Malloy, James M. (1970) Bolivia: The uncompleted revolution. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh
- Malloy, James M., Thorn, Richard eds. (1971) Beyond the revolution: Bolivia since 1952. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh
- Malloy, James M., Seligson, Mitchell A. eds. (1987) Authoritarians and democrats: Regime transition in Latin America. University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittsburgh
- Malloy, James M., Gamarra, Eduardo (1988) Revolution and reaction: Bolivia 1965–1985. Transaction Books, New Brunswick
- MARGOLIS, MACK 1988 Bolivia shifts from hyperinflation to stability.The Washington Post 17 May.
- Mitchell, Christopher (1977) The legacy of populism in Bolivia: From the MNR to military rule. Praeger, New York
- O'Donnell, Guillermo, Schmitter, Philippe, Whitehead, Laurence eds. (1986) Transitions from authoritarian rule. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore
- Prada, Raúl Rivadeneira (1984) Laberinto político de Bolivia. Centro de Investigación y Consultoria, La Paz, Bolivia
- Democracy, economic crisis and the problem of governance: The case of Bolivia
Studies In Comparative International Development
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 37-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links