Democracy, economic crisis and the problem of governance: The case of Bolivia
- James M. Malloy
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article examines the political context within which the Bolivian government of Víctor Paz Estenssoro (1985–1989) launched, implemented, and sustained a draconian neoliberal economic stabilization program. The article argues that the key to the successful economic program was the political skill and leadership of President Paz, in particular, his ability to negotiate a political pact with the main opposition party. Finally, the article ponders the tensions and contradictions between neoliberal economic policies and the process of consolidating democracy in a context of extreme economic crisis.
- ARAUCO, MARÍA ISABEL 1985 Acción social de los sectores medios: El caso de la burocracia estatal. InCrisis, democracia y conflicto social, edited by Roberto Laserna. Cochabama: CERES 165–202.
- ARENDT, HANNAH 1965On revolution. New York: Viking Press.
- BRIDGES, TYLER 1987 Setting free the market.The Dartmouth Alumni Magazine. October.
- CONFEDERACIÓN DE EMPRASARIOS PRIVADOS (C.E.P.B.) 1985Pensamiento de la empresa privada: 1982–1985. La Paz, Bolivia: C.E.P.B.
- CHALMERS, DOUGLAS A. 1977 Parties and society in Latin America. InFriends, followers, and factions. Edited by J. Schmidt et al. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- CONAGHAN, CATHERINE, JAMES M. MALLOY and LUIS ABUGATTAS 1990 Business and the boys. The origins of neoliberalism in the central Andes.Latin American Research Review 25, 2:3–30.
- ECONOMIST MAGAZINE 1987 Bolivia: For our next miracle…22 August.
- GAMARRA, EDUARDO 1987 Political stability, democratization and the Bolivian National Congress. Ph.D. Dissertation. University of Pittsburgh.
- HUNTINGTON, SAMUEL P. 1968Political order in changing societies. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- INSTITUTO LATINOAMERICANO DE INVESTIGACIONES SOCIALES (I.L.D.I.S.) 1985 La nueva política económica. InForo económico. La Paz, Bolivia: I.L.D.E.S.
- LINZ, JUAN J. 1987 Democracy, presidential or parliamentary: Does it make a difference? Prepared for presentation at the 83rd Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association. Chicago, Ill. 3–6 September.
- MALLOY, JAMES M. 1970Bolivia: The uncompleted revolution. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- MALLOY, JAMES M. and RICHARD THORN, eds. 1971Beyond the revolution: Bolivia since 1952. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- MALLOY, JAMES M. and MITCHELL A. SELIGSON, eds. 1987Authoritarians and democrats: Regime transition in Latin America. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- MALLOY, JAMES M. and EDUARDO GAMARRA 1988Revolution and reaction: Bolivia 1965–1985. New Brunswick: Transaction Books.
- MARGOLIS, MACK 1988 Bolivia shifts from hyperinflation to stability.The Washington Post 17 May.
- MITCHELL, CHRISTOPHER 1977The legacy of populism in Bolivia: From the MNR to military rule. New York: Praeger.
- O'DONNELL, GUILLERMO, PHILIPPE SCHMITTER and LAURENCE WHITEHEAD, eds. 1986Transitions from authoritarian rule. Baltimore, The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- PRADA, RAÚL RIVADENEIRA 1984Laberinto político de Bolivia. La Paz, Bolivia: Centro de Investigación y Consultoria.
- Democracy, economic crisis and the problem of governance: The case of Bolivia
Studies In Comparative International Development
Volume 26, Issue 2 , pp 37-57
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links