Race, incentives, and opportunities: The importance of timing
- Michael A. Leeds
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Center for Sport in Society, “2001 Racial Report Card,” at http://www.sportinsociety. org.
- Coate, S. and G. Loury, “Will Affirmative Action Policies Eliminate Negative Stereotypes?”American Economic Review, December 1993, pp. 1220–1242.
- Entine, J.Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We Are Afraid to Talk About IT, New York: Public Affairs, 2000.
- Gladwell, M. “The Sports Taboo,” The New Yorker, May 19, 1997, pp. 50–55.
- Hoberman, J.Darwin's Athletes, Boston: Houghton-Mifflin, 1997.
- Info-please.com, “1996 Median Annual Earnings by Race and Sex,” at http://www.infoplease.com/lpa/AO197814.html
- Kahn, L., “The Effects of Race on Professional Football Players' Compensation,”Industrial and Labor Relations Review, v. 45, no. 2, January, 1992 pp. 295–310. CrossRef
- Lazear, E. and S. Rosen, “Rank-order Tournaments as Optimum Labor Contracts,”Journal of Political Economy, v. 89, no. 5, October 1981, pp. 841–864. CrossRef
- Leeds, M., I. Pistolet, and E. Wheaton, “Race and Salaries in the NBA: A Quantile Regressions Approach”, manuscript, 2002.
- Loury G. “Is Equal Opportunity Enough?”American Economic Review, v. 71, no. 2, May 1981, pp. 122–126.
- Lundberg, S. and R. Startz,Race Information, and Segregation, mimeo December 1998.
- Maddala, G.Limited and Qualitative Variables in Econometrics, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1983.
- Price, S. “Whatever Happened to the White Athlete?”Sports Illustrated, December 8, 1997, pp. 31–51.
- Ruhm, C. “When ‘Equal Opportunity’ Is Not Enough: Training Costs and Intergenerational Inequality,”Journal of Human Resources, v. 23, no. 2, Spring 1988, pp. 155–171. CrossRef
- Spence, M. “Job Market Signaling,”Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1973, pp. 355–374.
- Smith, T. “Beyond the Pale: The Exclusion of Blacks from the National Football League, 1934–1946.”Journal of Sports History, v. 15, no 3 Winter 1988, pp. 255–281.
- Race, incentives, and opportunities: The importance of timing
The Review of Black Political Economy
Volume 30, Issue 3 , pp 55-69
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links