Scientific objectives and payloads of Chang’E-1 lunar satellite
- Cite this article as:
- Huixian, S., Shuwu, D., Jianfeng, Y. et al. J Earth Syst Sci (2005) 114: 789. doi:10.1007/BF02715964
• to obtain a three-dimensional stereo image of the lunar surface,
• to determine distribution of some useful elements and to estimate their abundance
• to survey the thickness of lunar soil and to evaluate resource of3He and
• to explore the environment between the Moon and Earth.
To achieve the above mission goals, five types of scientific instruments are selected as payloads of the lunar craft. These include stereo camera and spectrometer imager, laser altimeter, microwave radiometer, gamma and X-ray spectrometers and space environment monitor system. In order to collect, process, store and transmit the scientific data of various payloads a special payload data management system is also included. In this paper the goals of Chang’E-1 and its payloads are described