New evidence for the benefits of never spanking
- Murray A. Straus
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Murray A. Straus is professor of sociology and codirector of the Family Research Laboratory at the University of New Hampshire. He is the author or co-author or editor of 18 books includingStress, Culture, and Aggression. This article is adapted from Chapter 12 ofBeating the Devil Out of Them: Corporal Punishment in American Families and Its Effects on Children, 2nd edition, published by Transaction.
- Brezina, Timothy. 1999. “Teenage violence toward parents as an adaptation to family strain: Evidence from a national survey of, male adolescent.”Youth & Society 30:416–444. CrossRef
- Durrant, Joan E. 1999. “Evaluating the success of Sweden’s corporal punishment ban.”Child Abuse & Neglect 23:435–448. CrossRef
- Gershoff, Elizabeth Thompson. In press. “Corporal punishment by parents and associated child behaviors and experiences: A meta-analytic and theoretical review.”Psychological Bulletin.
- Gunnoe, Marjorie L., and Carrie L. Mariner. 1997. “Toward a developmental-contextual model of the effects of parental spanking on children’s aggression.”Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine 151:768–775.
- Larzelere, Robert E., William N. Schneider, David B. Larson, and Patricia L. Pike. 1996. “The effects of discipline responses in delaying toddler misbehavior recurrences.”Child and Family Therapy 18:35–37. CrossRef
- Neisser, Ulric. 1997. “Rising scores on intelligence tests: Test scores are certainly gong up all over the world, but whether intelligence itself has risen remains controversial.”American Scientist 85:440–447.
- Schenck, Eliza R., Robert D. Lyman, and S. Douglas Bodin. 2000. “Ethical beliefs, attitudes, and professional practices of psychologists regarding parental use of corporal punishment: A survey.”Children’s Services Social Policy, Research, and Practice 3:23–38.
- Simons, Ronald L., Kuei-Hsiu Lin, and Leslie C. Gordon. 1998. “Socialization in the Family of origin and male dating violence: A prospective study.”Journal of Marriage and the Family 60:467–478. CrossRef
- Straus, Murray A., and Anitia K. Mathur. 1996. “Social change and change in approval of corporal punishment by parents from 1968 to 1994.” Pp. 91–105 inFamily violence against children: A challenge for society., edited by D. Frehsee, W. Horn, and K-D Bussmann. New York: Walter deGruyter.
- Straus, Murray A., and Mallie J. Paschall. 1999. “Corporal punishment by mothers and children’s cognitive development: A logitudinal study of two age cohorts.” in6th International, Family Violence Research Conference. Durham, NH: Family Research Laboratory, University of New Hampshire.
- Straus, Murray A., and Julie H. Stewart. 1999. “Corporal punishment by American parents: National data on prevalence, chronicity, severity, and duration in relation to child, and family characteristics.”Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review 2:55–70. CrossRef
- Straus, Murray A., David B. Sugarman, and Jean Giles-Sims. 1997. “Spanking by parents and subsequent antisocial behavior of children.”Archives of pediatric and adolescent medicine 151:761–767.