Reactive extraction of lactic acid in a packed column
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Reactive extraction of lactic acid was performed continuously in a packed column. The 0.6 M trioctylamine (TOA)/l-chlorobutane system was used as an extradant. The initial concentration of lactic acid was 10 wt% based on fermentation results. Raschig rings (5 and 7 mm diameter) were used to measure hydrodynamic data. Disperse phase holdup was nearly constant at Vd<0.8Vd,f.It can be seen that the flooding data obtained from this study were consistent with the literature. NTU and HTU were calculated. NTU varied from 1 to 2 and HTU from 96 cm to 44 cm with variation of Vd. The overall mass transfer coefficients of the continuous phase were nearly constant to 8.98x 10-5 mol/cm2s with variation of Vd.
- Billet, R. and Mackowiak, J., “Hydraulic Behavior and Mass Transfer in an Extraction Column with Stacked Packings“,Ger. Chem. Eng.,3, 234 (1980).
- Billet, R., Mackowiak, J. and Pajak, M., “Hydraulics and Mass Transfer in Filled Tube Columns”,Chem. Eng. Process,19, 39 (1985). CrossRef
- Dell, F. R. and Pratt, H. R. C., “Part I: Flooding Rates for Packed Columns”,Trans. Instn. Chem. Engrs.,29, 89 (1951).
- Han, D. H. and Hong, W. H., “Reactive Extraction of Lactic Acid with Trioctylamine/Methylene Chloride/n-Hexane”,Sep. Sci. Technol,31(8), 1123 (1996). CrossRef
- Han, D. H. and Hong, W. H., “Water Enhanced Solubilities of Lactic Acid in Reactive Extraction Using Trioctylamine/ Various Active Diluents Systems”,Sep. Sci. Technol.,33 (2), 1123 (1998).
- Likidis, Z. and Schugerl, K., “Recovery of Penicillin by Reactive Extraction in Centrifugal Extractors”,Biotech. Bioeng.,30, 1032 (1987). CrossRef
- Kertes, A. S. and King, C. J., “Extraction Chemistry of Fermentation Product Carboxylic Acids”,Biotech. Bioeng.,28, 269 (1986). CrossRef
- Kumar, A. and Hartland, S., “Prediction of Drop Size, Dispersed-Phase Holdup, Slip Velocity and Limiting Throughputs in Packed Extraction Columns”,Trans I Chem E, part A,72, 89 (1994).
- Prochazka, J., Heyberger, A., Bizek, V., Kousova, M. and Bolaufova, E., “Amine Extraction of Hydroxycarboxylic Acids. 2. Comparison of Equilibria for Lactic, Malic, and Citric Acids”,Ind. Eng. Res. Chem.,33, 1565 (1994). CrossRef
- Reschke, M. and Schugerl, K., “Reactive Extraction of Penicillin III: Kinetics”,Chem. Eng. J.,28, B21 (1984). CrossRef
- Tamada, J.A., Kertes, A. S. and King, C.J., “Extraction of Carboxylic Acids with Amine Extractants. 1. Equilibrium and Law of Mass Action Modeling”,Ind. Eng. Res. Chem.,29, 1319 (1990). CrossRef
- Reactive extraction of lactic acid in a packed column
Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 15, Issue 3 , pp 324-329
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Reactive Extraction
- Lactic Acid
- Packed Column
- Overall Mass Transfer Coefficient
- Disperse Phase Holdup
- Industry Sectors