Influence of chain length of tertiary amines on extractability and chemical interactions in reactive extraction of succinic acid
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Reactive extraction of succinic acid from aqueous solutions with various tertiary amines dissolved in 1-octanol and in n-heptane has been studied as a function of the chain length of the tertiary amine. In the tertiary amine extractants in 1-octanol, the extractabilities of tertiary amines were proportional to their chain length. But, in n-heptane, the extractabilities of tertiary amines decreased with their chain length. In order to analyze chemical interactions involved in the complexation of succinic acid with amine extractants in 1-octanol and n-heptane, infrared (IR) spectroscopy was used. From IR spectroscopy, it was found that the difference of extractability in 1-octanol and in n-heptane was mainly due to the different degree of intramolecular hydrogen bonding of succinic acid with the polarity of diluents. And the possible stoichiometry of acid-amine-diluent complex was predicted as (1,1), (2,1), (1,1,1).
- Barrow, G. M. and Yerger, E.A., “Acid-Base Reactions in Non-Dissociating Solvents, Acetic Acid, and Triethylamine in Carbon Tetrachloride and Chloroform,”J. Am. Chem. Soc.,76, 5211 (1954). CrossRef
- Bizek, V., Horacek, J., Rericha, R. and Kousova, M., “Amine Extraction of Hydrocarboxylic Acids. 1. Extraction of Citric Acid with 1-Octanol/n-Heptane Solutions of Trialkylamine,”Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.,31, 1554 (1992). CrossRef
- Eyal, B. and Sergei, B., “Separation Mechanisms of Citric and Itaconic Acids by Water-immiscible Amines,”J. Chem. Tech. Biotechnol.,74, 891 (1999). CrossRef
- Gottschalk, G., “Bacterial Metabolism,” Springer-Verlag, NY (1986).
- Grinstead, R. R., “Base Strengths of Amines in Liquid-Liquid Extraction Systems,” Solv. Extr. Chem. (ISEC 67), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 426 (1967).
- Han, D. H. and Hong, W.H., “Reactive Extraction of Lactic Acid in a Packed Column,”Korean J. Chem. Eng.,15, 524 (1998). CrossRef
- Han, D.H., Hong, Y.K. and Hong, W. H., “Separation Characteristics of Lactic Acid in Reactive Extraction and Stripping,”Korean J. Chem. Eng.,17, 508 (2000).
- Hong, Y.K., Han, D.H. and Hong, W.H., “Water Enhanced Solubilities of Succinic Acid in Reactive Extraction Using Tertiary Amines/ Alcohols Systems,”Korean J. Chem. Eng.,19, 83 (2002). CrossRef
- Hong, Y.K. and Hong, W.H., “Equilibrium Studies on the Reactive Extraction of Succinic Acid from Aqueous Solutions with Tertiary Amines,”Biopro. Eng.,22, 477 (2000. CrossRef
- Hong, Y.K., Hong, W. H. and Chang, H.N., “Selective Extraction of Succinic Acid from Binary Mixture of Succinic Acid and Acetic Acid,”Biotech. Lett.,22, 871 (2000). CrossRef
- Kertes, A. S. and King, C. J., “Extraction Chemistry of Fermentation Product Carboxylic Acids,”Biotechnol. Bioeng.,28, 269 (1986). CrossRef
- Kim, B. S., Hong, Y.K. and Hong, W.H., “Effect of pH on the Extraction Characteristics of Succinic Acid and the Stability of Colloidal Liquid Aphrons,”Korean J. Chem. Eng.,19, 669 (2002). CrossRef
- Ricker, N. L., Michaels, J.N. and King, C. J., “Solvent Properties of Organic Bases for Extraction of Acetic Acid from Water,”J. Sep. Proc. Technol.,1, 36 (1979).
- Rieux, A., Rumeau, M. and Tremillon, B., “No. 185--Etude Spectrophotometrique de la Basicite Des Amines Aliphatiques a Longues Chaines Dans Des Solvants Peu Dissociants,”Bull. Soc. Chim. Fr., 1053 (1964).
- San-Martin, M., Pazos, C. and Coca, J., “Reactive Extraction of Lactic Acid with Alamine 336 in the Presence of Salts and Lactose,”J. Chem. Tech. Biotechnol.,54, 1 (1992).
- Tamada, J.A., “Extraction of Carboxylic Acids by Amine Extractants,” Ph.D. Thesis, Univ. of California at Berkeley (1989).
- Tamada, J. A. and King, C. J., “Extraction of Carboxylic Acids with Amine Extractants. 2. Chemical Interactions and Interpretation of Data,”Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.,29, 1327 (1990). CrossRef
- Tung, L.A. and King, C. J., “Sorption and Extraction of Lactic and Succinic Acid at pH> pKA1: 1. Factors Governing Equilibria,”Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.,33, 3217 (1994). CrossRef
- Weast, R. C., “CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics,” 79th ed., CRC Press, Florida (1998).
- Yang, S.-T., White, S.A. and Hsu, S.-T., “Extraction of Carboxylic Acids with Tertiary and Quaternary Amines: Effect of pH,”Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.,30, 1335 (1991). CrossRef
- Zeikus, J. G., Jain, M.K. and Elankovan, P., “Biotechnology of Succinic Acid Production and Markets for Derived Industrial Products,”Appl. Mocrobiol. Biotechnol.,51, 545 (1999). CrossRef
- Ziegenfub, H. and Maurer, G., “Distribution of Acetic Acid between Water and Organic Solutions of Tri-n-octylamine,”Fluid Phase Equilibria,102, 211 (1994). CrossRef
- Influence of chain length of tertiary amines on extractability and chemical interactions in reactive extraction of succinic acid
Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 488-493
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Succinic Acid
- Chain Length of Amine
- Intramolecular Hydrogen Bond
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Chemical Engineering, Chungju National University, 123 Geomdan-ri, Iryu-myeon, 380-702, Chungju, Chungbuk, Korea
- 2. Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), 373-1 Guseong-dong, 305-701, Yuseong-gu, Daejeon, Korea