Concentration of measure and isoperimetric inequalities in product spaces
- Michel Talagrand
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The concentration of measure phenomenon in product spaces roughly states that, if a set A in a product ΩN of probability spaces has measure at least one half, “most” of the points of Ωn are “close” to A. We proceed to a systematic exploration of this phenomenon. The meaning of the word “most” is made rigorous by isoperimetrictype inequalities that bound the measure of the exceptional sets. The meaning of the work “close” is defined in three main ways, each of them giving rise to related, but different inequalities. The inequalities are all proved through a common scheme of proof. Remarkably, this simple approach not only yields qualitatively optimal results, but, in many cases, captures near optimal numerical constants. A large number of applications are given, in particular to Percolation, Geometric Probability, Probability in Banach Spaces, to demonstrate in concrete situations the extremely wide range of application of the abstract tools.
- M. Aizenman, J. L. Lebowitz, D. Ruelle, Some rigorous results on the Sherrington-Kirkpatrick spin glass model,Commun. Math. Phys. 112 (1987), 3–20. CrossRef
- N. Alon, J. Spencer,The Probabilistic Method, Wiley, 1991.
- D. Amir, V. D. Milman, Unconditional and symmetric sets inn-dimensional normed spaces,Israel J. Math. 37 (1980), 3–20.
- B. Bollobás, The chromatic number of random graphs,Combinatorica 8 (1988), 49–55. CrossRef
- B. Bollabás, Random graphs revisited,Proceedings of Symposia on Applied Mathematics, Vol. 44, 1991, 81–98.
- B. Bollobás, G. Brightwell, The height of a random partial order: Concentration of Measure,Annals of Applied Probab.2 (1992), 1009–1018.
- E. G. Coffman, Jr.,G. S. Lucker,Probabilistic Analysis of Packing and Partitioning Algorithms, Wiley, 1991.
- F. Comets, J. Neveu, The Sherrington-Kirkpatrick Model of Spin Classes and Stochastic Calculus: the high temperature case,Comm. Math. Phys. 166 (1995), 549–564. CrossRef
- S. Dilworth, S. Montgomery-Smith, The distribution of vector-valued Rademacher series,Ann. Probab. 21 (1993), 2046–2052.
- A. M. Frieze, On the length of the longest monotone subsequence in a random permutation,Ann. Appl. Prob. 1 (1991), 301–305.
- M. Gromov, V. D. Milman, A topological application of the isoperimetric inequality,Amer. J. Math. 105 (1983), 843–854. CrossRef
- L. H. Harper, Optimal numbering and isoperimetric problems on graphs,J. Comb. Theory (1966), 385–395.
- W. Hoeffding, Probability inequalities for sums of bounded random variables,J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 58 (1963), 13–30. CrossRef
- S. Janson, Poisson approximation for large deviations,Random Structures and Algorithms 1 (1990), 221–290. CrossRef
- W. Johnson, G. Schechtman, Remarks on Talagrand’s deviation inequality for Rademacher’s functions,Lecture Notes in Math. 1470, Springer Verlag, 1991, 72–77.
- R. M. Karp, An upper bound on the expected cost of an optimal assignment, inDiscrete Algorithm and Complexity: Proceedings of the Japan-US joint Seminar, Academic Press, 1987, 1–4.
- H. Kesten, Aspects of first-passage percolation, Ecole d’Eté de Probabilité de Saint-Flour XIV,Lecture Notes in Math. 1180, 125–264, Springer Verlag, 1986, 125–264.
- H. Kesten, On the speed of convergence in first passage percolation,Ann. Applied Probab. 3 (1993), 296–338.
- R. M. Karp, J. M. Steele, Probabilistic analysis of heuristics, inThe Traveling Salesman Problem, John Wiley and Sons, 1985, 181–205.
- J. Leader, Discrete isoperimetric inequalities,Proceedings of Symposia on Applied Mathematics, Vol. 44, 1991, 57–80.
- M. Ledoux,Gaussian randomization and the law of the iterated logarithm in type 2 Banach spaces, Unpublished manuscript, 1985.
- M. Ledoux, M. Talagrand, Characterization of the law of the iterated logarithm in Banach spaces,Ann. Probab. 16 (1988), 1242–1264.
- M. Ledoux, M. Talagrand,Probability in Banach Spaces, Springer Verlag, 1991.
- T. Luczak, The chromatic number of Random graphs,Combinatorica 11 (1991), 45–54. CrossRef
- B. Maurey, Construction de suites symétriques,Comptes Rendus Acad. Sci. Paris 288 (1979), 679–681.
- B. Maurey, Some deviation inequalities,Geometric and Functional Analysis 1 (1991), 188–197. CrossRef
- C. McDiarmid, On the method of bounded differences, inSurvey in Combinatorics (J. Simons, Ed.), London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes, Vol. 141, Cambridge Univ. Press, London/New York, 1989, 148–188.
- C. McDiarmid, RyanHayward, Strong concentration for Quicksort,Proceedings of the Third Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), 1992, 414–421.
- V. D. Milman, G. Schechtman, Asymptotic theory of finite dimensional normed spaces,Lecture Notes in Math. 1200, Springer Verlag, 1986.
- V. D. Milman, A new proof of the theorem of A. Dvoretzky on sections of convex bodies,Func. Anal. Appl. 5 (1971), 28–37.
- V. D. Milman, Asymptotic properties of functions of several variables defined on homogenous spaces,Soviet. Math Dokl. 12 (1971), 1277–1491.
- V. D. Milman, The heritage of P. Lévy in geometrical functional analysis,Astérisque 157/158 (1988), 273–301.
- G. Pisier, Probabilistic methods in the geometry of Banach spaces. Probability and Analysis, Varena (Italy) 1985,Lecture Notes in Math. 1206, Springer Verlag, 1986, 167–241.
- W. Rhee, On the fluctuations of the stochastic traveling salesperson problem,Math. of Operation Research 13 (1991), 482–489. CrossRef
- W. Rhee, A matching problem and subadditive Euclidean functionals,Ann. Applied Probab. 3 (1993), 794–801.
- W. Rhee, On the fluctuations of simple matching,Oper. Res. Letters 16 (1994), 27–32. CrossRef
- W. Rhee, Inequalities for the Bin Packing Problem III,Optimization 29 (1994), 381–385. CrossRef
- J. Rosinski, Remarks on a Strong Exponential Integrability of Vector Valued Random Series and Triangular Arrays,Ann. Probab., to appear.
- W. Rhee, M. Talagrand, A sharp deviation inequality for the stochastic traveling salesman problemAnn. Probab. 17 (1989), 1–8.
- G. Schechtman, Levy type inequality for a class of metric spaces, Martingale Theory in Harmonic analysis and Banach spaces, Cleveland 1981,Lecture Note in Math. 939, Springer Verlag, 1981, 211–215.
- E. Shamir, J. Spencer, Sharp concentration of the chromatic number of random graphs G n, p ,Combinatorica 7 (1987), 121–129. CrossRef
- M. Talagrand, An isoperimetric theorem on the cube and the Kintchine Kahane inequalities,Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 104 (1988), 905–909. CrossRef
- M. Talagrand, Isoperimetry and integrability of the sum of independent Banach space valued random variables,Ann. Probab. 17 (1989), 1546–1570.
- M. Talagrand, A new isoperimetric inequality for product measure, and the tails of sums of independent random variables,Geometric and Functional Analysis 1 (1991), 211–223. CrossRef
- M. Talagrand, A new isoperimetric inequality for product measure, and the concentration of measure phenomenon, Israel Seminar (GAFA),Lecture Notes in Math. 1469, Springer Verlag, 1991, 94–124. CrossRef
- M. Talagrand, Regularity of infinitely divisible processes,Ann. Probab. 21 (1993), 362–432.
- M. Talagrand, Supremum of some canonical processes,Amer. J. Math. 116 (1994), 295–314. CrossRef
- M. Talagrand, New concentration inequalities, in preparation.
- D. W. Walkup, On the expected value of a random assignment problem,SIAM J. Comput. 8 (1979), 440–442. CrossRef
- V. V. Yurinskii, Exponential bounds for large deviations,Theor. Prob. Appl. 19 (1974), 154–155. CrossRef
- Concentration of measure and isoperimetric inequalities in product spaces
Publications Mathématiques de l'Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques
Volume 81, Issue 1 , pp 73-205
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Primary 60E15, 28A35, 60G99
- Secondary 60G15, 68C15
- Michel Talagrand (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Equipe d’Analyse - Tour 48 UA au CNRS no 754, Université Paris VI, 4 Pl. Jussieu, 75230, Paris Cedex 05