Variation of geometric invariant theory quotients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Geometric Invariant Theory gives a method for constructing quotients for group actions on algebraic varieties which in many cases appear as moduli spaces parameterizing isomorphism classes of geometric objects (vector bundles, polarized varieties, etc.). The quotient depends on a choice of an ample linearized line bundle. Two choices are equivalent if they give rise to identical quotients. A priori, there are infinitely many choices since there are infinitely many isomorphism classes of linearized ample line bundles. Hence several natural questions arise. Is the set of equivalence classes, and hence the set of non-isomorphic quotients, finite? How does the quotient vary under change of the equivalence class? In this paper we give partial answers to these questions in the case of actions of reductive algebraic groups on nonsingular projective algebraic varieties. We shall show that among ample line bundles which give projective geometric quotients there are only finitely many equivalence classes. These classes span certain convex subsets (chambers) in a certain convex cone in Euclidean space, and when we cross a wall separating one chamber from another, the corresponding quotient undergoes a birational transformation which is similar to a Mori flip.
- Atiyah, M. (1982) Convexity and commuting Hamiltonians. Bull. London Math. Soc. 14: pp. 1-15 CrossRef
- Bialynicki-Birula, A. (1973) Some theorems on actions of algebraic groups. Ann. of Math. 98: pp. 480-497 CrossRef
- Bialynicki-Birula, A., Sommese, A. (1983) Quotients by C* and SL(2, C) actions. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 279: pp. 773-800 CrossRef
- Bourbaki, N. (1989) Commutative Algebra. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, New York
- Brion, M. (1986) Sur l’image de l’application moment. Lecture Notes in Math. 1296: pp. 177-193
- Brion, M., Procesi, C. (1990) Action d’un tore dans une variété projective. Progress in Mathematics 192: pp. 509-539
- Goresky, M., MacPherson, R. (1986) On the topology of algebraic torus actions. Lect. Notes in Math. 1271: pp. 73-90
- Guillemin, V., Sternberg, S. (1989) Birational equivalence in the symplectic category. Invent. Math. 97: pp. 485-522 CrossRef
- Hesselink, W. (1979) Desingularization of varieties of null forms. Invent. Math. 55: pp. 141-163 CrossRef
- Hu, Y. (1992) The geometry and topology of quotient varieties of torus actions. Duke Math. Journal 68: pp. 151-183 CrossRef
- Hu, Y. (1995) (W, R) matroids and thin Schubert-type cells attached to algebraic torus actions. Proc. of Amer. Math. Soc. 123: pp. 2607-2617 CrossRef
- Kempf, G. (1978) Instability in invariant theory. Ann. of Math. 108: pp. 299-316 CrossRef
- Kempf, G., Ness, L. (1979) The length of vectors in representation spaces. Lecture Notes in Math. 732: pp. 233-243
- F. Kirwan,Cohomology of quotients in symplectic and algebraic geometry, Princeton University Press, 1984.
- Kirwan, F. (1985) Partial desingularization of quotients of nonsinguler varieties and their Betti numbers. Annals of Math. 122: pp. 41-85 CrossRef
- F. Knop, H. Kraft, T. Vust, The Picard group of a G-variety, in «Algebraic transformation groups and invariant theory », DMV Seminar, B. 13, Birkhäuser, 1989, 77–87.
- Kleiman, S. (1966) Towards a numerical criterion of ampleness. Annals of Math. 84: pp. 293-344 CrossRef
- Kapranov, M., Sturmfels, B., Zelevinsky, A. (1991) Quotients of toric varieties. Math. Ann. 290: pp. 643-655 CrossRef
- Lieberman, D. (1978) Compactness of the Chow scheme: applications to automorphisms and deformations of Kähler manifolds. Lect. Notes in Math. 670: pp. 140-186 CrossRef
- Mumford, D., Fogarty, J., Kirwan, F. (1994) Geometric Invariant Theory. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, New York
- Ness, L. (1979) Mumford’s numerical function and stable projective hypersurfaces. Lecture Notes in Math. 732: pp. 417-453
- Ness, L. (1984) A stratification of the null cone via the moment map. Amer. Jour. of Math. 106: pp. 1281-1325 CrossRef
- M. Reid,What is a flip, preprint, Utah, 1992, 17 p.
- N. Ressayre,Variation de quotients en théorie des invariants, Mémoire de DEA ENS-Lyon, septembre 1996.
- Sjamaar, R. (1995) Holomorphic slices, symplectic reduction and multiplicities of representations. Annals of Math. 141: pp. 87-129 CrossRef
- Thaddeus, M. (1994) Stable pairs, linear systems and the Verlinde formula. Invent. Math. 117: pp. 317-353 CrossRef
- M. Thaddeus, Geometric invariant theory and flips,Journal of the American Math. Society (to appear).
- Variation of geometric invariant theory quotients
Publications Mathématiques de l'Institut des Hautes Études Scientifiques
Volume 87, Issue 1 , pp 5-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links