Pursuing the simplifications in smelser’s vision
- David Maines
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
He teaches primarily in the areas of theory and social psychology, and is just completingTime and Social Process (Aldine deGruyter).
- Becker, Howard. 1986.Doing Things Together: Selected Papers. Evanston, IL: Northwestern University Press.
- Blumer, Herbert. 1931. “Science Without Concepts.”American Journal of Sociology 36:515–33. CrossRef
- Coleman, James. 1986. “Social Theory, Social Research, and a Theory of Action.”American Journal of Sociology 91:1309–35. CrossRef
- Collins, Randall. 1986. “Is 1980’s Sociology in the Doldrums?”American Journal of Sociology 91:1336–55. CrossRef
- Geertz, Clifford. 1983.Local Knowledge. New York: Basic Books.
- Lakatos, Imre. 1970. “Falsification and the Methodology of Scientific Research Programmes.” Pp. 91–196 inCriticism and the Growth of Knowledge, edited by I. Lakatos and A. Musgrage. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Maines, David. 1989. “Herbert Blumer on the Possibility of Science in the Practice of Sociology: Further Thoughts.”Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 18:160–77. CrossRef
- McMullin, E. 1970. “The History and Philosophy of Science: A Taxonomy”Minnesota Studies in the Philosophy of Science 5:12–67.
- Merton, Robert. 1967.On Theoretical Sociology. New York: Free Press.
- Parsons, Talcott. 1954. “The Present Position and Prospects of Systematic Theory in Sociology.” Pp. 212–37 inEssays in Sociological Theory. New York: Free Press.
- Shils, Edward. 1970. “Tradition, Ecology, and Institution in the History of Sociology.”Daedalus 99:760–825.
- Wagner, David and Joseph Berger. 1985. “Do Sociological Theories Grow?”American Journal of Sociology 90:679–728. CrossRef
- Wardell, Mark and Stephen Turner (eds.). 1986.Sociological Theory in Transition. Boston: Allen and Unwin.
- Wiley, Norbert. 1979. “The Rise and Fall of Dominating Theories in American Sociology.” Pp. 47–79 inContemporary Issues in Theory and Research, edited by W. Snizek, E. Furhman, and M. Miller. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Pursuing the simplifications in smelser’s vision
The American Sociologist
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 294-297
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- David Maines (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Sociology, The Pennsylvania State University, 16802, University Park, PA