From margins to center? The development and purpose of participatory research
- Budd L. Hall
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This article documents the development of the libratory stream of participatory research as experienced through the activities and connections of one of the key figures in the early development and dissemination of these ideas. It traces the developments in Tanzania in the early 1970s, through the establishment of the original Participatory Research Network to the elaboration of theoretical and political debates. It highlights the formulation and elaboration of participatory research as a contribution to social change in a variety of settings. It includes discussions of the feminist advance, the question of voice and the relationship of power to knowledge in transformative practice. It contains an extensive and historically valuable bibliography.
- Barndt, Deborah. 1981.Just Getting There: Creating Visual Tools for Collective Analysis in Freirean Education Programmes for Migrant Women in Canada. Toronto, Canada: Participatory Research Group.
- Barndt, Deborah. 1989.Naming the Moment: Political Analysis for Action—A Manual for Community Groups. Toronto, Canada: Moment Project.
- Beltran, Luis R. 1976. Alien Premises, Objects and Methods in Latin American Communication Research.Communications Research, 3:107–34. CrossRef
- Berry, Thomas. 1988.The Dream of the Earth. San Francisco: Sierra Books.
- Brown, L. David and Robert E. Kaplan. 1981. “Participatory Research in a Factory,” inHuman Inquiry: A Source Book for New Paradigm Research, ed. Peter Reason and John Rowan. London: Wiley.
- Callaway, Helen. 1981. “Women’s Perspectives: Research as Re-vision,” inHuman Inquiry: A Source Book of New Paradigm Research, ed. Peter Reason and John Rowan. London: Wiley.
- Cassara, Beverly. 1985.Participatory Research: Group Self-directed Learning for Social Transformation. University of Georgia: Adult Education.
- Center for Community Education and Action. 1991.Participatory Research: An Annotated Bibliography. Amherst: CCEA and Center for International Education.
- Colorado, Pamela. 1988. “Bridging Native and Western Science.”Convergence 21(3/4).
- Comstock, Don and Robert Fox. 1993. Citizen’s Action at North Bonnevile Dam. In Park et al. (eds.).Voices for Change: Participatory Research in North America. Westport: Greenwood.
- D’arcy de Oliveira, Rosiska and Michael D’arcy de Oliveira. 1975.The Militant Observer: A Sociological Alternative. Geneva: Institut d’Action Culturelle.
- Fals Borda, Orlando. 1980.Science and the Common People. Yugoslavia: International Forum on Participatory Research.
- Fals Borda, Orlando. 1989.Knowledge for the People (video) Calgary, Alberta: University of Calgary Media.
- Fals Borda, Orlando and M. Anisur Rahman. 1991.Action and Knowledge: Breaking the Monopoly with Participatory Action-Research. New York: Apex.
- Freire, Paulo. 1982. “Creating Alternative Research Methods: Learning to Do It by Doing It.” InCreating Knowledge: A Monopoly: Participatory Research in Development. Hall et al. (eds.) Toronto, Canada and New Delhi: International Council on Adult Education, pp. 29–40.
- Gaventa, John. 1981.Power and Powerlessness: Quiescence and Rebellion in an Appalachian Valley. Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press.
- Gaventa, John. 1988. Participatory Research in North America.Convergence 21(2/3):9–28.
- Gerace Larufa, Francisco. 1973.Commicacion Horizontal. Lima: Libreria Studium.
- Giroux, Henry and Roger Simon. 1992. “Popular Culture as a Pedagogy of Pleasure and Meaning: Decolonizing the Body.” In Giroux, Henry,Border Crossings: Cultural Workers and the Politics of Education. New York: Routledge.
- Gramsci, Antonio (Hoare, Quinten and Gerrard Nowell-Smith. eds. and trans.) 1971.Selections from the prison notebooks of Antonio Gramsci. London: Lawrence and Wishart.
- Hall, Budd, 1979. “Knowledge as a Commodity and Participatory Research.”Prospects 9(4).
- Hall, Budd, 1981. “Participatory Research, Popular Knowledge and Power.”Convergence 14(3).
- Hall, Budd, Arthur Gillette and Tandon Rajesh. 1982.Creating Knowledge: A Monopoly? New Delhi: PRIA.
- Holmes, John. 1976. “Thoughts on Research Methodology.”Studies in Adult Education 8:149–63.
- hooks, bell. 1984.Feminist Theory: From Margin to Center. Boston: South End.
- hooks, bell. 1988.Talking Back: Thinking Feminist Thinking Black. Toronto: Between the Lines.
- Horton, William D. 1981.On the Potential of Participatory Research: An Evaluation of a Regional Experiment. Paper prepared for annual meeting of the Society for Study of Social Problems, Toronto, Canada, 21–24 August 1982.
- Jackson, Edward T. 1980.Environmental Assessment in Big Trout Lake, Canada. Paper for International Forum on Participatory Research. Yugoslavia.
- Jackson, Edward T., Don McCaskill and Budd Hall. 1982. “Learning for Self-determination: Community-based Options for Native Training and Research,” special issue ofCanadian Journal of Native Studies 2(1).
- Kassum, Yusuf and Kemal Mustapha. 1982.Participatory Research: An Emerging Alternative Methodology in Social Science Research. Toronto, Canada: ICAE.
- Lourde, Audre. 1984.Sister Outsider. Trumansburg, NY: Crossing Press.
- Maguire, Patricia. 1987.Doing Participatory Research: A Feminist Approach. Amherst: Center for International Education, University of Massachusetts.
- Marx, Karl. 1971.Collected Works of Engels and Marx. London: Lawrence and Wishart.
- Orefice, Paolo. 1981. Cultural Self-awareness of Local Community: An Experience in the South of Italy.Convergence 14:56–64.
- Park, Peter. 1993. “What is Participatory Research?” In Park et al. (eds.),Voices for Change: Participatory Research in North America. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Park, Peter, Mary Brydon-Miller, Budd Hall and Edward T. Jackson, (eds.),Voices for Change: Participatory Research in North America. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Park, Peter, Mary Brydon-Miller, Budd Hall and Edward T. Jackson, (eds.). 1993.Voices for Change: Participatory Research in North America. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Participatory Research Network. 1982.An Introduction to Participatory Research. New Delhi: ICAE.
- PRIA. 1985.Knowledge and Social Change: An Inquiry Into Participatory Research in India. New Delhi: PRIA.
- Rahnema, M. 1990. “Participatory Action Research: The ‘Last Temptation’ of Saint Development.”Alternatives 15:199–226.
- Shiva, Vandana. 1989.Staying Alive: Women, Ecology and Development. London: Zed Books.
- Smith, Dorothy. 1979. A Sociology for Women. In Sherman, J. and Bock, E.,The Prism of Sex: Essays in the Sociology of Knowledge. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.
- SPEAR. 1990.You Better Belize it! A Participatory Research Training Guide on a Training Workshop in Belize. Society for the Promotion of Education and Research and PRG, Toronto, Canada.
- Spender, Dale. 1978. Editorial.Womens Studies International Quarterly 1:1–2.
- Stinson, Arthur (ed.) 1979.Canadians Participate: Annotated Bibliography of Case Studies. Ottawa, Canada: Centre for Social Welfare Studies.
- Stoecker, Randy and David Beckwith. (1992). Advancing Toledo’s Neighbourhood Movement Through Participatory Action Research: Integrating Activist and Academic Approaches.Clinical Sociology Review 10:198–213.
- Sullivan, Edmund. 1990.Critical Psychology and Pedagogy: Interpretation of the Personal World. Westport, CT: Bergin and Garvey.
- Tandon, Rajesh. 1988. Social Transformation and Participatory Research.Convergence 21(2/3):5–18.
- Vio Grossi, Francisco. 1981. The Socio-political Implications of Participatory Research. Yugoslavia: International Forum on Participatory Research.Convergence 14(3):34–51.
- Whyte, Wm. F. (ed.) 1991.Participatory Action Research. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
- From margins to center? The development and purpose of participatory research
The American Sociologist
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 15-28
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Budd L. Hall (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre for Community and Global Transformation Learning, Ontario Institute For Studies in Education, 252 Bloor St., W., M5S 1V6, Toronto, Ontario, Canada