The measurement of optimism and pessimism
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Procedures employed in the development and validation of a new Optimism & Pessimism Scale are described, and information about test-retest reliability is reported. Internal consistency analyses and other data suggest that optimism and pessimism are not polar opposites and bring up questions about the intrerelatedness of the cognitive and affective realms. The magnitude of the correlation between pessimism and measures of anxiety suggests a link between this measure and the Negative Affectivity construct, and the potential relationships among optimism, pessimism, the Pollyanna Principle, and Positive and Negative Affect are discussed. Conceptually, it appears that optimism and pessimism may aid in psychological defense by helping to bind anxiety.
- Abramson, L.Y., Seligman, M.E.P., & Teasdale, J.D. (1978). Learned helplessness in people: Critique and reformulation.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 87, 49–74. CrossRef
- Beck, A.T. (1963). Thinking and depression.Archives of General Psychiatry, 9, 324–333.
- Beck, A.T. (1967).Depression: Clinical, experimental and theoretical aspects. New York: Harper & Row.
- Beck, A.T., Weissman, A., Lester, D., Trexler, L. (1974). The measurement of pessimism: The hopelessness scale.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 42, 861–865. CrossRef
- Bem, S.L. (1974). The measurement of psychological androgyny.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 42, 155–162. CrossRef
- Brickman, P. (1987).Commitment, conflict and caring. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Byrne, D., Barry, J., & Nelson, D. (1963). Relation of the revised repression-sensitization scale to measures of self-description.Psychological Reports, 13, 323–334.
- Chabot, J.A. (1973). Repression-Sensitization: A critique of some neglected variables in the literature.Psychological Bulletin, 80, 122–129. CrossRef
- Cronbach, L.J., (1951). Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika, 16, 297–335. CrossRef
- Crowne, D.P., & Marlowe, D. (1960). A new scale of social desirability independent of psychopathology.Journal of Consulting Psychology, 24, 349–354. CrossRef
- Crowne, D.P., & Marlowe, D. (1964).The approval motive. New York: Wiley.
- Dember, W.N., & Brooks, J. (1989). A new instrument for measuring optimism and pessimism: Test-retest reliability and relations with happiness and religious commitment.Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 27, 365–366.
- Dember, W.N., & Penwell, L. (1980). Happiness, depression, and the Pollyanna principle.Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society, 15 321–323.
- Erdelyi, M.H. (1974). A new look at the new look: Perceptual defense and vigilance.Psychological Review, 81, 1–25. CrossRef
- Fibel, B., & Hale, W.D. (1978). The generalized expectancy for success scale—a new measure.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 46, 924–931. CrossRef
- Fischer, M., & Leitenberg, H., (1986). Optimism and pessimism in school-aged children.Child Development, 57, 241–248. CrossRef
- Frank, J.D. (1974).Persuasion and healing. New York: Schocken.
- Gleser, G.C., & Ihilevich, D. (1969), An objective instrument for measuring defense mechanisms.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 33(1), 51–60. CrossRef
- Golin, S., Terrell, F., Weitz, J., & Drost, P.L. (1979). The illusion of control among depressed patients.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 88, 454–457. CrossRef
- Gonen, J.Y., & Lansky, L.M. (1968). Masculinity, feminity, and masculinity-femininity: A phenomenological study of the mf scale of the MMPI.Psychological Reports, 23, 183–194.
- Graham, J.R. (1987).The MMPI: a practical guide, (2nd ed.). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Grinker, R.R., Miller, J., Sabshin, M., Nunn, R., & Nunnally, J.C. (1961).The phenomena of depressions. New York: Hoeber Medical Division.
- Guiford, J.P. (1956).Fundamental statistics in psychology and education. (3rd ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Hathaway, S.R., & McKinley, J.C. (1940). A multiphasic personality schedule (Minnesota): I. Construction of the schedule.Journal of Psychology, 10, 249–254. CrossRef
- Hoffnung, P.S. (1967).An optimism-pessimism scale: Theory, construction, and reliability. Unpublished master’s thesis, University of Cincinnati.
- Ihilevich, D., & Gleser, G.C. (1986).Defense mechanisms: their classification, correlates and measurement with the Defense Mechanisms Inventory. Owasso, Michigan: DMI Associates.
- Izard, C.E., Kagan, J., & Zajonc, R.B. (Eds.). (1984).Emotions, cognition, and behavior. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Kamen, L.P., Seligman, M.E.P., & Rodin, J. (1987). Unpublished data, University of Pennsylvania.
- Lazarus, R.S. (1982). The costs and benefits of denial. In S. Breznitz (Ed.),Denial of stress. New York: International Universities Press.
- Lewinsohn, P.M., Mischel, W., Chaplin, W., & Barton, R. (1980). Social competency and depression: The role of illusory self-perceptions.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 89, 203–212. CrossRef
- Matlin, M.W., & Stang, D.J. (1978).The Pollyanna principle. Cambridge, MA: Schenkman.
- Melges, F., & Bowlby, J. (1969). Types of hopelessness in psychopathological process.Archives of General Psychiatry, 20, 690–699.
- Minkoff, K., Bergman, E., Beck, A.T., & Beck, B. (1973). Hopelessness, depression, and attempted suicide.American Journal of Psychiatry, 130, 455–459.
- Nelson, D.C., & Phares, E.J. (1971). Anxiety, discrepancy between need value and expectancy and internal-external control.Psychological Reports, 28, 663–668.
- Norem, J.C., & Cantor, N. (1983). Pessimism as a cognitive cushion. Unpublished manuscript, University of Michigan.
- Norem, J.C., & Cantor, N. (1986). Anticipatory and post hoc cushioning strategies: Optimism and defensive pessimism in “risky” situations.Cognitive Therapy & Research, 10 (3), 347–362. CrossRef
- Nunnally, J. (1978).Psychometric theory (2nd ed.). New York: McGraw Hill.
- Peterson, C., Seligman, M.E.P., & Vaillant, G.E. (1988). Pessimistic explanatory style is a risk factor for physical illness: a thirty-five year longitudinal study.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Phares, E.J. (1976).Locus of control in personality. Morristown, NJ: General Learning Press.
- Phares, E.J., & Lamiell, J.T. (1974). Relationship of internal-external control of defensive preferences.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 42, 872–878. CrossRef
- Rotter, J.B. (1966). Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement.Psychological Monographs, 80, (1, Whole No. 609).
- Showers, C.J., & Cantor, N. (1984, April). Defensive Pessimism: A “Hot” Schema and Protective Strategy. Paper presented at the meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Baltimore, MD.
- Slough, N., Kleinknecht, R.A., & Thorndike, R.M. (1984). Relationship of the Repression-Sensitization Scale to anxiety.Journal of Personality Assessment, 48, 378–379. CrossRef
- Stotland, E. (1969).The psychology of hope. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Strassberg, D.S. (1973). Relationships among locus of control, anxiety, and value-goal expectations.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 41, 319. CrossRef
- Vaughan, J.A., Jr., & Knapp, R.H. (1963). A study in pessimism.The Journal of Social Psychology, 59, 77–92. CrossRef
- Watson, D., & Clark, L.A. (1984). Negative affectivity: The disposition to experience aversive emotional states.Psychological Bulletin, 96 (3), 465–490. CrossRef
- Watson, D., & Tellegen, A. (1985). Toward a consensual structure of mood.Psychological Bulletin, 98, 219–235. CrossRef
- Welsh, G.S. (1956). Factor dimensions A and R. In G.S. Welsh & W.G. Dahlstrom (Eds.),Basic readings on the MMPI in psychology and medicine. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- Zeiss, A.M., Lewinsohn, P.M., & Munoz, R.F. (1979). Nonspecific improvement effects in depression using interpersonal skills training, pleasant activity schedules, or cognitive training.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 47, 427–439. CrossRef
- The measurement of optimism and pessimism
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 102-119
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links