Enhancing literary understandings through young adult fiction
- Maia Pank Mertz
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Young adult literature can be used to enhance students' understanding of literary techniques and concepts, providing a “transition” between children's and adult fiction. Two young adult novels—The Pigman andI am the Cheese—are used to illustrate the use of young adult novels to teach about literary elements such as tome, point of view, characterization, motif, symbolism, style, and structure.
- Burton, Dwight L. 1970.Literature Study in the High Schools, 3d ed., New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Campel, Patricia J. 1990.Presenting Robert Cormier, New York: Dell.
- Cormier, Robert 1977.I am the Cheese. New York: Dell.
- Donelson, Kenneth L., and Allen Pace Nilsen. 1989.Literature for Today's Young Adults, 3d ed. Glenview, Ill.: Scott, Foresman.
- Knowles, John. 1960.A Separate Peace. New York: Bantam,
- Mertz, Maia Pank, 1975. “Understanding the Adolescent Reader,”Theory Into Practice 14, 3 (June): 55–58. CrossRef
- —, 1978. “The ‘New Realism’: Traditional Cultural Values in Recent Young Adult Fiction,”Phi Delta Kappan (October): 101–05.
- Mertz, Maia Pank, and Robert J. Mertz, 1976. “Adolescents Against Society Institutional Values inThe Magician andThe Chocolate War,”Focus: Teaching English Language Arts 3, 2 (Winter): 27–35.
- Mertz, Maia Pank, and David England, 1983. “The Legitimacy of American Adolescent Fiction,”School Library Journal (October): 119–23.
- Mueller, Al. 1974. “The Adolescent Novel in the Classroom,”Media and Methods (April): 32–33.
- Small, Robert C. 1977. “The Adolescent Novel as a Working Model,”ALAN, pp. 4, 2 (Winter): 4–6.
- —, 1979. “The Y. A. Novel in the Composition Program (Part II),”English Journal (October): 75–77. CrossRef
- Zindel, Paul. 1968.The Pigman. New York, Dell.
- Enhancing literary understandings through young adult fiction
Publishing Research Quarterly
Volume 8, Issue 1 , pp 23-33
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Maia Pank Mertz (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Educational Studies at Ohio State University, 249 Arps Hall, 43210, Columbus, Ohio