Chemical stimulus determinants of cat neural taste responses to meats
- J. C. Boudreau
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Abstract and Summary
The cat taste system was studied by recording single unit pulse signals from neurons innervating chemoreceptors on the fungiform papillae on the tongue. On the basis of neurophysiological measures, these units have been divided into three separate functional groups. Group I units respond to acids in general, but at neutral pH the most effective stimuli are certain nitrogen compounds. Compounds with an imidazole ring such as L-histidine, 1-methyl imidazole, anserine and carnosine prove to be effective group I stimuli. Group II units are responsive to amino acids, especially L-proline and L-cysteine, to the di- and triphosphate nucleosides, and to some inorganic salts. Group III unit stimuli are less well defined but these units are among those maximally discharged by nucleotides. The most effective compounds for stimulating both Group I and Group II units are certain nitrogen heterocycles.
- Boudreau, J.C., Bradley, E., Bierer, P.R., Kruger, S., Tsuchitani, C. (1971) Exp. Brain Res. 13: pp. 461-461 CrossRef
- Boudreau, J.C., Alev, N. (1973) Brain Res. 54: pp. 157-157 CrossRef
- Boudreau, J.C., Anderson, W., Oravec, J. (1975) Chem. Senses and Flavor 1: pp. 495-495 CrossRef
- Boudreau, J.C., Collings, V., Oravec, I., Anderson, W., Nelson, T.E. (1976) Sulfur, Nitrogen, and Phenolic Compounds in Food Flavor, ACS Symposium Series. Amer. Chem. Soc, Wash. D.C.
- Boudreau, J.C., and T.E. Nelson, Chem. Senses and Flavor (In press).
- Solms, J. (1971) Gustation and Olfaction, an International Sym- posium. Academic Press, New York, NY
- Ninomiya, T., S. Ikeda, S. Yamaguchi, and T. Yoshikawa, Rep. 7th Sensory Evaluation Symposium, JUSE, 109-123 (1966).
- White, T.D., Boudreau, J.C. (1975) Physiol. Psychol. 3: pp. 405-405
- Carpenter, J.A. (1956) J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 48: pp. 139-139 CrossRef
- Bartoshuk, L.M. (1975) J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 89: pp. 971-971 CrossRef
- Yamaguchi, S., Yoshikawa, T., Ikeda, S., Ninomiya, T. (1971) J. Food Sci. 36: pp. 846-846 CrossRef
- Chang, S.S., Symposium on the Instrumental Analysis of Flavor and Flavor Stability of Fats and Fatty Foods, AOCS Spring Meeting, New Orleans, April 1976.
- Hashida, W. (1974) Food Trade Rev. 44: pp. 21-21
- Herz, K.O., Chang, S.S. (1970) Adv. in Food Res’. 18: pp. 1-1
- Wilson, R.A., Katz, I. (1974) Flavour Industry 5: pp. 1-1
- Wilson, R.A. (1975) J. Agr. Food Chem. 23: pp. 1032-1032 CrossRef
- Chemical stimulus determinants of cat neural taste responses to meats
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 54, Issue 10 , pp 464-466
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- J. C. Boudreau (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sensory Sciences Center, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center, 77030, Houston, TX