Compatibility of deformation in two-phase Ti-Al alloys: Dependence on microstructure and orientation relationships
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A two-phase alloy of composition Ti-47.5Al-2.5Cr has been studied under two heat-treated conditions in order to obtain different microstructures. These consisted of lamellar and equiaxed distributions of y grains in which the α2 phase was distributed as long lamellae or smaller globules, respectively. The specific rotation relationships between γ/γ and γ/α2 grains have been measured, and these have been used to understand their effect on the compatibility of deformation across adjacent grains. For this, detailed analysis of active slip systems has been carried out by transmission electron microscopy (TEM) observations of deformed samples. A theoretical calculation of a geometric compatibility factor characterizing the best slip transfer across adjacent grains has been used in such a way that it has been possible to deduce the role played by the type of orientation relationship between grains in producing active deformation systems that allow the maximum compatibility of deformation.
- Y.-W. Kim and D.M. Dimiduk:J Met., 1991, vol. 8, p. 40.
- V.K. Vasudevan, M.A. Stucke, S.A. Court, and H.L. Fraser:Phil. Mag. Lett., 1989, vol. 59, p. 299. CrossRef
- H. Inui, M.H. Oh, A. Nakamura, and M. Yamaguchi:Phil. Mag. A, 1992, vol. 66, p. 557. CrossRef
- S.C. Huang and E.L. Hall:Metall. Trans. A, 1991, vol. 22, pp. 427–39. CrossRef
- M.A. Morris:Phil. Mag. A, 1993, vol. 68, p. 237. CrossRef
- M.J. Blackburn: inThe Science, Technology and Applications of Titanium, R. Jaffee and N.E. Promisel, eds., Pergamon Press, New York, NY, 1970, p. 633.
- H. Inui, M.H. Oh, A. Nakamura, and M. Yamaguchi:Phil. Mag. A, 1992, vol. 66, p. 539. CrossRef
- T. Kawabata, M. Tadano, and O. Izumi:Scripta Metall., 1988, vol. 22, p. 1725. CrossRef
- M.A. Morris:Phil. Mag. A, 1993b, vol. 68, p. 257. CrossRef
- Y. Umakoshi and T. Nakano:Acta Metall., 1993, vol. 41, p. 1155. CrossRef
- J.W. Luster: Ph.D. Thesis, University of Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel, Switzerland, 1994.
- J.D. Livingston and B. Charniers:Acta Metall., 1957, vol. 5, p. 322. CrossRef
- S. Muira, K. Hamashima, and K.T. Aust:Acta Metall., 1980, vol. 28, p. 1591. CrossRef
- C. Rey and A. Zaoui:Acta Metall., 1982, vol. 30, p. 523. CrossRef
- H. Kawazoe, T. Takasugi, and O. Izumi:Acta Metall., 1989, vol. 37, p. 2883. CrossRef
- Z. Shen, R.H. Wagoner, and W.A. Clark:Acta Metall., 1988, vol. 36, p. 3231. CrossRef
- W. Bolimann:Crystal Lattices, Interfaces and Matrices, 1982, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, p. 44.
- D.W. Pashley, J.L. Robertson, and M.J. Stowell:Phil. Mag. A, 1969, vol. 19, p. 83. CrossRef
- E. Schmid and W. Boas:Kristallplastizität, Julius Springer, Berlin, 1935.
- Y.-W. Kim:J. Met., 1980, vol. 7, p. 24.
- Y.-W. Kim:Acta Metall., 1992, vol. 40, p. 1121. CrossRef
- W.O. Soboyejo, D.S. Schwartz, and S.M.L. Sastry:Metall. Trans. A, 1992, vol. 23, pp. 2039–59. CrossRef
- Compatibility of deformation in two-phase Ti-Al alloys: Dependence on microstructure and orientation relationships
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 26, Issue 7 , pp 1745-1756
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors