Mathematical modeling of flows in large tundish systems in steelmaking
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Numerical solutions of the three-dimensional turbulent Navier-Stokes equations, incorporating thek-ε turbulence model, are presented for the turbulent flow of liquid within a tundish of high aspect ratio. Experimental results, obtainedvia Laser-Doppler anemometry and flow visualization techniques, are also reported. Calculated flow fields were shown to be similar to corresponding experimental flow fields. Such results can provide useful technological information regarding the design of tundishes in the steel industry for optimization of steel cleanliness.
- D. J. Harris, A. McLean, T. R. Meadowcraft, and J. D. Young: 2nd Proc. Tech. Conf., Chicago, 1981, I.S.S. of AIME, pp. 232–45.
- L.J. Heaslip and A. McLean:Continuous Casting, I.S.S. of AIME, 1983, vol. 1, pp. 93–97.
- R. C. L. Wong: “Computations of three dimensional turbulent flows in ladles and tundishes,” 1982, M.Sc. Thesis, Univ. of Ottawa.
- Jones, W. P., Launder, B.E. (1972) Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 15: pp. 301-04 CrossRef
- Launder, B. E., Spalding, D. B. (1974) Comp. Math. Appl. Mech. Eng. 3: pp. 269-89 CrossRef
- A. D. Gosman and F. D. K. Ideriah: Teach-2E, Internal Report Dept. Mech. Eng. Imperial College, University of London, 1976.
- Gosman, A.D., Pun, W. M., Runchal, A.K., Spalding, D.B., Wolfshtein, M. (1969) Heat and Mass Transfer in Recirculating Flows. Academic Press, London
- Spalding, D.B. (1972) Int. J. Num. Math. Eng. 4: pp. 551-59 CrossRef
- K. Y. M. Lai: Internal Report, Dept. Mech. Eng., Univ. of Ottawa, 1984.
- Castro, I. P., Sackrell, J. E. (1978) J. of Ind. A. 3: pp. 1-20 CrossRef
- W. Rodi: “Turbulence models and their applications-review,” Univ. of Karlsruhe, SFB 80/T/127, 1980.
- Hackman, L.P., Strong, A.B., Raithby, G.D. (1984) Transactions CSME 8: pp. 165-70
- Mathematical modeling of flows in large tundish systems in steelmaking
Metallurgical Transactions B
Volume 17, Issue 3 , pp 449-459
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical Engineering, Princeton University, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 2. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- 3. Nippon Steel Corporation, Japan
- 4. Department of Metallurgical Engineering, McGill University, Montreal, PQ, Canada