Isolation of plant DNA: A fast, inexpensive, and reliable method
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We describe here a simple method to isolate DNA of high molecular weight from a wide variety of plant materials, such as trees, herbaceous plants, cell suspension cultures, calli, seeds, dried embryos, ferns and lichens. The crucial step of the extraction is the use of an acidic extraction medium. When necessary, the sample was separated on a fast RPC-5 column providing us with highly purified DNA suitable not only for restriction endonuclease analyses but also for PCR experiments, RLFP analyses, or detection of adducts.
- Couch, J. A. and P. J. Fritz 1990. Isolation of DNA from plant high in polyphenolic. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 8:8–12.
- Dellaporta, S. L., J. Wood and J. B. Hicks 1983. A plant DNA minipreparation: Version II. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 1:19–21.
- Guillemaut, P. and J. H. Weil 1990. Purification and identification of higher plant organellar transfer RNAs. In: Cherayil, J. D. (ed)Transfer RNAs and Other Soluble RNAs. CRC Press, Boston.
- Murray, H. G. and W. F. Thomson 1980. Rapid isolation of high molecular weight DNA. Nucleic Acids Res. 8:4321–4325. CrossRef
- Pearson, R.L., J. F. Weiss and A.D. Kelmers 1971. Improved separation of tRNAs on polychlorotrifluoroethylene supported reverse-phase chromatography columns. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 228:770–774.
- Rether, B., A. Pfohl-Leszkowicz, P. Guillemaut and Keith G. 1990. Benzo(a)pyrene induces nuclear-DNA adducts in plant cell suspension culture. FEBS Lett. 263:172–174. CrossRef
- Rogers, S. O. and A. J. Bendich 1985. Extraction of DNA from milligram amounts of fresh, herbarium and mummified plant tissues. Plant Mol. Biol. 5:69–76. CrossRef
- Scott, O. R. and A. J. Bendich 1988. Extraction of DNA from plant tissues. Plant Mol. Biol. Manual A6:1–10.
- Tai, T.H. and S.D. Tanksley 1990. A rapid and inexpensive method for isolation of total DNA from dehydrated plant tissue. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 8:297–303. CrossRef
- Taylor, B. and A. Powell 1982. Isolation of plant DNA and RNA. Focus 4:4–6.
- Varadarajan, G. S. and C. S. Prakash 1991. A rapid and efficient method for the extraction of total DNA from the sweet potato and its related species. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 9:6–12.
- Zimmer, E. A and K. J. Newton 1982. A simple method for the isolation of high molecular weight DNA from individual maize seedlings and tissues. In: Sheridan W.F. (ed)Maize for Biological Research. Grand Forks, University Press, University of North Dakota.
- Isolation of plant DNA: A fast, inexpensive, and reliable method
Plant Molecular Biology Reporter
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 60-65
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- DNA isolation
- woody plant
- cell culture
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratoire de Biologie Végétale Appliquée, Institut Universitaire de Technologie Louis Pasteur, 3 rue de l’Argonne, F-67000, Strasbourg, France
- 2. Institut de Biologie Moléculaire des Plantes du CNRS, 12 rue du Général Zimmer, F-67084, Strasbourg Cedex, France