Animal fat raw materials
- G. Maerker
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Over six billion pounds of tallow and grease are produced yearly in the United States, and almost 90% of these animal fats are utilized in feeds and as raw materials for industrial chemicals—both domestically and abroad. The fatty acid profile of an animal fat is a function of the kind of animal from which the fat was derived, as well as the breed, age, and diet of the animal. Impurities in the fat determine its grade and depend primarily on this history of the fat as well as on external contaminants which may have been added inadvertently.
- Kromer, G.W., Speech before the National Renderers Association Annual Meeting, Houston, TX, October 31, 1978.
- Gunstone, F.D., in “An Introduction to the Chemistry and Biochemistry of Fatty Acids and their Glycerides,” 2nd Edition, Chapman and Hall, Ltd., London, 1967, p. 154.
- Hilditch, T.P., and P.N. Williams, in “The Chemical Constitution of Natural Fats,” 4th Edition, Spottiswoode, Ballantyne and Co., Ltd., London, 1964.
- “Bailey’s Industrial Oil and Fat Products,” 3rd Edition, Edited by D. Swern, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1964.
- Slover, H.T., and E. Lauza, submitted to JAOCS.
- Anderson, B.A., J.A. Kinsella, and B.K. Watt, J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 67(1): 35 (1975).
- Brooks, C.C., J. Anim. Sci. 33(6): 1224 (1971).
- Edmondson, L.F., R.A. Yoncoscie, N.H. Rainey, F.W. Douglas, and J. Bitman, JAOCS 51:72 (1974). CrossRef
- Burnham, F., in “Rendering The Invisible Industry,” Aero Publishers, Inc., Fallbrook. CA, 1978, pp. 42–43.
- Burnham, F., Render 7(2):8 (1978).
- Burnham, F., Ibid. 6(6):8 (1977).
- Anonymous, “Spectrum,” National Renderers’ Association, Des Plaines, IL, 1978, p. 90–91.
- Fats and Oil Situation (FOS-290), Economics, Statistics, and Cooperative Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, February 1978.
- Animal fat raw materials
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 56, Issue 11 , pp 726A-729A
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- G. Maerker (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Eastern Regional Research Center, Agricultural Research, Science and Education Administration, USDA, 600 East Mermaid Lane, 19118, Philadelphia, PA