Reactive ion etching of trenches in 6H-SiC
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we report the reactive ion etching (RIE) of trenches in 6H-silicon carbide using SF6/O2. The plasma parameters: etchant composition, gas flow rate, chamber pressure, and radio frequency power were optimized to obtain a maximum etch rate of 360Å/min. The etch rate of SiC was found to exhibit a direct correlation with the dc self bias except when the O2 percentage was varied. Trenches were fabricated using the optimized conditions. It was found that the trench surface was extremely rough due to the aluminum micromasking effect. To overcome this effect, a TeflonTM sheet was used to cover the cathode during the experiment. The trenches fabricated using this modification were found to have smooth etched surfaces and sidewalls. The angle of anisotropy of these trenches was approximately 80° which is suitable for device applications.
- M. Bhatnagar and B.J. Baliga,IEEE Trans. of Elec. Dev. 40, 645 (1993). CrossRef
- R.J. Trew, J.B. Yan and P.M. Mock,Proc. IEEE 79, 598 (1991). CrossRef
- J.W. Faust, Jr.,Silicon Carbide-A high temperature semiconductor, eds. J.R. O’Conner and J. Smittens, (New York: Pergamon Press, 1960), p. 403.
- W. Von Muench and P. Hoeck,Solid State Electron. 21, 479 (1978). CrossRef
- D. Alok and B.J. Baliga,J. Electron. Mater. 24, 311 (1995). CrossRef
- W.S. Pan and A.J. Steckl,J. Electrochem. Soc. 137, 213 (1992).
- P.H. Yih and A.J. Steckl,J. Electrochem. Soc. 140, 1813 (1993). CrossRef
- J.W. Palmour, R.F. Davis, P. Astell-burtand and P. Blackborov,Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 76, 185 (1987).
- P.H. Yih and A.J. Steckl.J.-Electrochem. Soc. 142, 312 (1995). CrossRef
- A.J. Steckl and P.H. Yih,Appl. Phys. Lett. 60, 1966 (1992). CrossRef
- Reactive ion etching of trenches in 6H-SiC
Journal of Electronic Materials
Volume 25, Issue 5 , pp 875-878
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Reactive ion etching (RIE)
- silicon carbide (SiC)
- Industry Sectors