Variation of the partial thermodynamic properties of oxygen with composition in YBa2Cu3O7−δ
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The variation of equilibrium oxygen potential with oxygen concentration inYBa 2Cu3O7-δhas been measured in the temperature range of 773 to 1223 K. For temperatures up to 1073 K, the oxygen content of theYBa 2Cu3O7-δsample, held in a stabilized-zirconia crucible, was altered by coulometric titration. The compound was in contact with the electrolyte, permitting direct exchange of oxygen ions. For measurements above 1073 K, the oxide was contained in a magnesia crucible placed inside a closed silica tube. The oxygen potential in the gas phase above the 123 compound was controlled and measured by a solid-state cell based on yttria-stabilized zirconia, which served both as a pump and sensor. Pure oxygen at a pressure of 1.01 × 105 Pa was used as the reference electrode. The oxygen pressure over the sample was varied from 10-1 to 105 Pa. The oxygen concentrations of the sample equilibrated with pure oxygen at 1.01 × 105 Pa at different temperatures were determined after quenching in liquid nitrogen by hydrogen reduction at 1223 K. The plot of chemical potential of oxygen as a function of oxygen non-stoichiometry shows an inflexion at δ ∼ 0.375 at 873 K. Data at 773 K indicate tendency for phase separation at lower temperatures. The partial enthalpy and entropy of oxygen derived from the temperature dependence of electromotive force (emf ) exhibit variation with composition. The partial enthalpy for °= 0.3, 0.4, and 0.5 also appears to be temperature dependent. The results are discussed in comparison with the data reported in the literature. An expression for the integral free energy of formation of YBa2Cu3O6.5 is evaluated based on measurements reported in the literature. By integration of the partial Gibbs’ energy of oxygen obtained in this study, the variation of integral property with oxygen concentration is obtained at 873 K.
- P.K. Gallagher:Adv. Ceram. Mater., 1987, vol. 2, pp. 632–39.
- K. Kishio, J. Shimoyama, T. Hasegawa, K. Kitazawa, and K. Fueki:Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 1987, vol. 26, pp. L1228–30. CrossRef
- E.D. Specht, C.J. Sparks, A.G. Dhere, J. Brynestad, O.B. Cavin, D.M. Kroeger, and H.A. Dye:Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter, 1988, vol. 37, pp. 7426–34.
- P. Strobel, J.J. Capponi, and M. Marezio:Solid State Commun., 1987, vol. 64, pp. 513–15. CrossRef
- S. Yamaguchi, K. Terabe, A. Saito, S. Yahagi, and Y. Iguchi:Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 1988, vol. 27, pp. L179–81. CrossRef
- E. Takayama-Muromachi, Y. Uchida, K. Yukino, T. Tanaka, and K. Kato:Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 1987, vol. 26, pp. L665–67. CrossRef
- J. Marucco, C. Noguera, P. Garoche, and G. Collin:J. Mater. Res., 1987, vol. 2, pp. 757–59.
- P.K. Gallagher, H.M. O’Bryan, S.R. Sunshine, and D.W. Murphy:Mater. Res. Bull., 1987, vol. 22, pp. 995–98. CrossRef
- M. Iwase, H. Iritani, E. Ichise, and K. Osaka:Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., 1988, vol. 27, pp. L51–52. CrossRef
- H. Verweij and H.M. Bruggink:J. Phys. Chem. Solids, 1988, vol. 49, pp. 1063–69. CrossRef
- T.B. Lindemer, J.F. Hunley, J.E. Gates, A.L. Sutton, J. Brynestad, C.R. Hubbard, and P.K. Gallagher:J. Am. Ceram. Soc, 1989, vol. 72, pp. 1775–88. CrossRef
- M. Tetenbaum: inCeramic Superconductors II, M.F. Yan, ed., American Ceramic Society, Westerville, OH, 1988, pp. 51–58.
- M. Tetenbaum, B. Tani, B. Czech, and M. Blander:Phys. C, 1989, vol. 158, pp. 377–80. CrossRef
- F. Toci, A. Schurenkamper, M. Cambini, and L. Manes:Phys. C, 1988, vol. 155, pp. 838–39. CrossRef
- P. Gerdanian, C. Picard, and J.F. Marucco:Phys. C, 1989, vol. 157, pp. 180–88. CrossRef
- M.E. Parks, A. Navrotsky, K. Mocala, E. Takayama-Muromachi, A. Jacobson, and P.K. Davies:J. Solid State Chem., 1989, vol. 79, pp. 53–62. CrossRef
- R. Akila, A.K. Shukla, and K.T. Jacob:Bull. Mater. Sci., 1986, vol. 8, pp. 453–65.
- K. Swaminathan, J. Janaki, G.V. Rao, O.M. Sreedharan, and T.S. Radhakrishnan:Mater. Lett., 1988, vol. 6, pp. 265–68. CrossRef
- T.B. Lindemer, C.R. Hubbard, and J. Brynestad:Phys. C, 1990, vol. 167, pp. 312–16. CrossRef
- M.E. Parks, A. Navrotsky, K. Mocala, E. Takayama-Muromachi, A. Jacobson, and P.K. Davies:J. Solid State Chem., 1989, vol. 83, pp. 218–19. CrossRef
- K.T. Jacob, T. Mathews, and J.P. Hajra:Mater. Sci. Eng., 1990, vol. B7, pp. 25–29. CrossRef
- P. Ehrenfest:Proc. Amsterdam Acad., 1933, vol. 36, p. 153.
- C.N.R. Rao:Int. Conf. on Superconductivity, S.K. Joshi, C.N.R. Rao, and S.V. Subramanyam, eds., World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, Malaysia, 1990, pp. 72–85.
- L.R. Morss, D.C. Sonnenberger, and R.J. Thorn:Inorg. Chem., 1988, vol. 27, pp. 2106–10. CrossRef
- L.R. Morss: Chemistry Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, unpublished research, 1991.
- A.M. Azad, O.M. Sreedharan, and K.T. Jacob:Bull. Mater. Sci., 1991, vol. 14, pp. 983–87.
- A.M. Azad and O.M. Sreedharan:Supercond. Sci. Technol., 1990, vol. 3, pp. 159–62. CrossRef
- Yu. Ya. Skolis, S.V. Kitsenko, M.L. Kovba, and S.F. Pashin: presented at theAll Union Conference on Chemical Thermodynamics and Calorimetry, USSR, Sept. 1988.
- F. Zhanguo, J. Chunlin, and Z. Zhangxian:J. Less-Common Met., 1990, vol. 161, pp. 49–59. CrossRef
- H. Fjellvagh, P. Karen, A. Kjekshus, P. Kofstad, and T. Norby:Acta Chem. Scand. A, 1988, vol. 42, pp. 178–84. CrossRef
- Y.A. Chang and N. Ahmad:Thermodynamic Data on Metal Carbonates and Related Oxides, TMS-AIME, Warrendale, PA, 1982.
- G.M. Kale and K.T. Jacob:Chem. Mater., 1989, vol. 1, pp. 515–19. CrossRef
- R.A. Fisher, J.E. Gordon, and N.E. Phillips:J. Supercond., 1988, vol. 1, pp. 231–94. CrossRef
- K.S. Gavricher, V.E. Gorbunov, I.A. Konovalova, V.B. Lazarev, E.A. Tishchenko, and I.S. Shaplygin:Izv. AN SSSR, Neorg. Mater., 1988, vol. 24, pp. 343–48.
- A. Junod, D. Eckert, T. Graf, E. Kaldis, J. Karpinski, S. Rusiecki, D. Sanchgez, G. Triscone, and J. Muller:Phys. C, 1990, vol. 168, pp. 47–56. CrossRef
- R. Shaviv, E.F. Westrum, R.J.C. Brown, M. Sayer, X. Yu, and R.D. Weir:J. Chem. Phys., 1990, vol. 92, pp. 6794–99. CrossRef
- L.B. Pankratz, J.M. Stuve, and N.A. Gokcen: “Thermodynamic Data for Minerai Technology,” Bulletin 677, United States Department of the Interior, Bureau of Mines, 1984.
- Variation of the partial thermodynamic properties of oxygen with composition in YBa2Cu3O7−δ
Metallurgical Transactions A
Volume 23, Issue 12 , pp 3325-3335
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors