Glyceride composition of processed fats and oils as determined by glass capillary gas chromatography
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Refined and bleached fats and oils can be analyzed directly by high-temperature glass capillary column gas chromatography after derivatization of the fatty acids, mono- and diglycerides with BSTFA [(N,O)-bis(trimethyl silyl) trifluoroacetamide]. The intact glycerides are separated on the basis of volatility to provide characteristic carbon number profiles (CNP). Quantitative information on mono-, di- and triglycerides, as well as free fatty acids, is obtained from a single, rapid separation. Profile values are reported for 13 different processed fats and oils. The analysis performed in the split-injection mode maintains column integrity after numerous separations, while producing acceptable relative standard deviations.
- Kuksis, A., in Lipid Chromatographic Analysis, edited by G.V. Marinetti, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, 1976.
- Litchfield, C., Analysis of Triglycerides, Academic Press, New York, NY 1972.
- Karleskind, A., G. Valmalle and J.P. Wolff, Rev. Fr. Corps Gras 21:617 (1974).
- Hamilton, R.J., and R.G. Ackman, J. Chromatogr. Sci. 13:474 (1975).
- Grob, K., Jr., J. Chromatogr. 178:387 (1979). CrossRef
- Grob, K., Jr., H.P. Neukom and R. Battaglia, JAOCS 57:282 (1980). CrossRef
- Monseigny, A., P.Y. Vigneron, M. Levacq and F. Zwobada, Rev. Fr. Corps Gras 26:107 (1979).
- D'Alonzo, R.P., W.J. Kozarek and H.W. Wharton, JAOCS 58: 215 (1981). CrossRef
- Horowitz, W. (ed.), Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 12th edn., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, 1975.
- Rooney, T.A., and R.R. Freeman, Quantitative and Qualitative Analyses Using Glass Capillary Columns, Technical Paper 79, Hewlett-Packard Company Avondale, PA, 1979.
- Glyceride composition of processed fats and oils as determined by glass capillary gas chromatography
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 59, Issue 7 , pp 292-295
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors