The properties ofCucurbita foetidissima seed oil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Oils from the seeds of 15 different selections of the buffalo gourd,Cucurbita foetidissima, were characterized in terms of their physical and chemical properties, which indicate that this oil is similar to other common edible oils. Xanthophylls were the predominant carotenoid pigments present in the crude oil, ranging from 51~232 mg/kg oil. Linoleic acid, the predominant fatty acid, ranged from 39~77% with an average level of 61%. Although conjugated unsaturated acids are a significant component in some other xerophytic cucurbit oils, the levels of conjugated dienoic and trienoic fatty acids in this species are only 2.3 and 0.03%, respectively.
- Bemis, W.P., J.W. Berry, C.W. Weber and T.W. Whitaker, Hort-Sci. 13:235 (1978).
- Bemis, W.P., L.C. Curtis, C.W. Weber and J.W. Berry, Econ. Bot. 32:87 (1978).
- Jacks, T.J., T.P. Hensarling and L.Y. Yatsu, Ibid. 26: 135 (1972).
- Berry, J.W., C.W. Weber, M.L. Dreher and W.P. Bemis, J. Food Sci. 41:465 (1976). CrossRef
- Scheerens, J.C., W.P. Bemis, M.L. Dreher and J.W. Berry, JAOCS 55:523 (1978).
- Shahani, H.S., F.G. Dollear and K.S. Markley, Ibid. 28:90 (1951). CrossRef
- Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists' Society, Vols. I and II, 3rd Edition, AOCS, Chicago, IL, 1970.
- Zscheile, F.P., H.A. Nash, R.L. Henry and L.F. Green, Ind. Eng. Chem., Anal. Ed. 16:83 (1944). CrossRef
- Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Agricultural Chemists, 10th Edition, AOAC, Washington, DC, Method 28.046.
- Bailey, A.E., “Cottonseed and Cottonseed Products,” Interscience Publishers, Inc., New York, 1948, p. 770.
- Chisholm, J.J., and C.Y. Hopkins, JAOCS 43:390 (1966). CrossRef
- Bemis, W.P., M. Moran, J.W. Berry and A.J. Deutschman, Jr., Can. J. Chem. 45:2637 (1967). CrossRef
- Smith, J.M., W.L. Dunkley, A. Franke and T. Dairiki, JAOCS 55:257 (1978).
- “Bailey's Industrial Oil and Fat Products,” 3rd Edition, edited by D. Swern, Publishers, Ind. Div. of John Wiley and Sons, Inc., New York, 1964.
- The properties ofCucurbita foetidissima seed oil
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 57, Issue 9 , pp 310-313
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors