Solvent extraction of lipid components from egg yolk solids
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of solvent systems on extraction of lipid components from commercially spray-dried egg yolks were investigated. Hexane, hexane:isopropanol (2:1), and chloroform:methanol (2:1) were studied, and the effects of temperature of extraction and ratio of solvent to egg were examined in a 3×2×2 factorial design. Hexane removed more fat and phospholipid and less cholesterol and pigment than the more polar solvents. Increased solvent ratio extracted more of the lipid components, although temperature of the extraction had little effect on removal of the lipid components.
- Larsen, J.E., Froning, G.W. (1981) Poultry Science 60: pp. 160-160 CrossRef
- Tokarska, B., Clandinin, M.T. (1985) J. Can. Inst. Food Sci. Technol. 18: pp. 256-256 CrossRef
- Berquist, D.H. In: Stadelman, W.J., Cotterill, O.J. eds. (1977) Egg Science and Technology. AVI Publishing Co., Inc., Westport, CT, pp. 197-197
- Melnick, D., U.S. Patent 3,563,765 (1971).
- Official Methods of Analysis, 13th edn., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, 1980, Method 17.004.
- Walker, R.C. eds. (1984) Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists' Society. AOCS, Champaign, IL
- Bartlett, G.R. (1959) J. Biol. Chem. 234: pp. 468-468
- Brown, H.G. (1987) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 64: pp. 106-106 CrossRef
- Posati, L.P., and M.L. Orr,USDA Handbook 8-1, Agricultural Research Service, 1976, Item No. 01-137.
- Cook, F., Briggs, G.M. In: Stadelman, W.J., Cotterill, O.J. eds. (1977) Egg Science and Technology. AVI Publishing Co., Inc., Westport, CT, pp. 92-92
- Warren, M.W., D.R. Davis and J. Sabbe,Ark. Farm Research. Sept.–Oct. (1987).
- Solvent extraction of lipid components from egg yolk solids
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 65, Issue 7 , pp 1136-1139
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors