Relationship between slip melting point and pulsed NMR data of palm kernel oil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A quantitative relationship between slip melting point (SMP) of palm kernel oil and pulsed nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) data was established. Regression analysis on the SMP and solid fat content (SFC) data by NMR afforded the following relationship: SMP (°C) = 0.03278 X (SFC 10) + 0.1458 X (SFC 20) + 19.1738 where SFC 10 was the solid fat content (%) at 10°C and SFC 20 was the solid fat content (%) at 20°C. The coefficient of multiple correlation was 0.87871. The equation was tested with 12 samples of crude and refined palm kernel oil. SMPs as determined indirectly by NMR correlated well with the conventional open capillary tube results (r = 0.99998). The maximum difference observed was 0.3°C. The correlation can be applied usefully for quality control.
- Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, edited by David Berner, AOCS, Champaign, IL, 1988, Method Cc 3-25.
- Test Methods of the Palm Oil Research Institute of Malaysia, PORIM, Bangi, Selangor, Method p 4.2.
- Eads, T.M., and W.R. Croasmun,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 65:78 (1988). CrossRef
- Van den Enden, J.C., A.J. Haighton, K. van Putte, L.F. Vermaas and D. Waddington,Fette Seifen Anstrichm. 80:180 (1978). CrossRef
- Standard Methods for the Analysis of Oils, Fats and Derivatives, edited by C. Paquot, IUPAC, 1982, p. 2766.
- Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, edited by David Berner, AOCS, Champaign, IL, 1988, Method Cd 16-81.
- Timms, R.E., and E.M. Goh,Comparison of Determination of Solid Fat Content by NMR and by Dilatometry (SFI), Paper presented at AOCS Annual Meeting, May, 1986.
- Relationship between slip melting point and pulsed NMR data of palm kernel oil
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 68, Issue 3 , pp 144-146
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- palm kernel oil
- pulsed nuclear magnetic resonance
- slip melting point
- solid fat content
- Industry Sectors