Antioxidative activity measurement in lipid peroxidation systems with malonaldehyde and 4-hydroxy nonenal
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Antioxidative activities of vitamin E, ethylenediamine tetraacetic acid (EDTA), ferulic acid, and butylated hydroxy toluene (BHT) were monitored with lipid peroxidation systems. Formation of malonaldehyde (MA) and 4-hydroxy nonenal (4-HN) from ethyl linoleate or rat liver microsome oxidized by FeCl2/H2O2 or ADP/FeSO4 was measured by gas chromatography. Over 90% of MA and 4-HN formation was inhibited by 100 mmol/L of vitamin E. A synthetic antioxidant, BHT, showed the strongest antioxidative activity, followed by that of vitamin E, whereas EDTA accelerated formation of MA and 4-HN in the ethyl linoleate/FeCl2/H2O2 system. Vitamin E did not suppress lipid peroxidation significantly when microsome was oxidized by ADP/FeSO4. EDTA inhibited oxidation of microsome by ADP/FeSO4 considerably; in contrast, it did not in the case of oxidation by FeCl2/H2O2.
- Ames, B.N., R. Cathcart, E. Schwiers and P. Hochstein,Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 78:6858 (1981). CrossRef
- Frei, B., L. England and B.N. Ames,Ibid. 86:6377 (1989). CrossRef
- Osawa, T., M. Nagata, M. Namiki and Y. Fukuda,Agric. Biol. Chem. 49:3351 (1985).
- Dillard, C.J., and A.L. Tappel,Lipids 8:183 (1973). CrossRef
- Basu, A.K., and L.J. Marnett,Carcinogenesis 4:331 (1983). CrossRef
- Shamberger, R.J., T.L. Andreone and C.E. Willis,J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 53:1771 (1974).
- Ohkawa, H., N.Ohnishi and K. Yagi,Anal. Biochem. 95:351 (1979). CrossRef
- Ichinose, T., M.G. Miller and T. Shibamoto,Lipids 24:895 (1989). CrossRef
- Tamura, H., and T. Shibamoto,Ibid. 26:170 (1991). CrossRef
- Slater, T.F., and B.C. Sawyer,Biochem. J. 123:805 (1971).
- Umano, K., K.J. Dennis and T. Shibamoto,Lipids 23:811 (1988). CrossRef
- Kitada, M., T. Kamataki and H. Kitagawa,Jpn. J. Pharmacol. 27:653 (1977).
- Tien, M., L.A. Morehouse, J.R. Bucher and S.D. Aust,Biochem. Biophys. 218:450 (1983). CrossRef
- Minotti, G., and S.D. Aust,Chem. Phys. Lipids 44:191 (1987). CrossRef
- Horton, A.A., and S. Fairhurst,CRC Crit. Rev. in Toxicol. 18:41 (1987).
- Antioxidative activity measurement in lipid peroxidation systems with malonaldehyde and 4-hydroxy nonenal
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 68, Issue 12 , pp 941-943
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- lipid peroxidation
- 4-hydroxy nonenal.
- Industry Sectors