Algebraic rossby solitary wave and blocking in the atmosphere
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, the atmosphere is divided into two regions which are governed by different equations. Furthermore, multiple-scale method is used to obtain the Benjamin-Ono equation satisfied by the nonlinear Rossby wave in weak shear zonal flow. The equation has algebraic solitary wave solution, and the stationary streamfunction fields in-ithe atmosphere are calculated by using numerical method, and the results demonstrate that the stationary solution is antisymmetric dipoles with the anticyclone north of the cyclone, and the structure is similar to the equivalent modon obtained by Mcwilliams (1980). Because the modon obtained here is an algebraic solitary wave, the modon may be called “algebraic modon”, and the stationary algebraic modon is consistent with observations of blocking pattern in the atmosphere.
- Benjamin, T. B. (1967),J. Fluid. Mech.,22: 559–592. CrossRef
- Charney, J. G. and J. Devore (1979):J. Atmos. Sci. 35: 1205–1216. CrossRef
- Frederisken, J. S. (1982),J. Atmos. Sci.,35: 969–982.
- Kou, H. L. (1981),Atmospheric dynamics, Jiangsu Science Press, 115-119.
- Liang Kunmiao (1979),Mathematical and Physical method, People’s Education Press, 422-423.
- Luo Dehai (1987), On the Benjamin-Ono equation and generalization in the atmosphere (Submitted toScientia Sinica).
- Luo Dehai and Ji Liren (1987), Effect of topography on modon and blocking in the atmosphere (to be published).
- Malguzzi, P. and P. Malanotte-Rizzoli (1984),J. Atmos. Sci.,41: 2620–2628. CrossRef
- Maslowe, S. A. and L. G. Redekopp (1980),J. Fluid. Mech,101: 321–348. CrossRef
- Mcwilliams, J. C. (1980),Dyn. Atmos. Oceans,5: 43–66. CrossRef
- Ono, H. (1975),J. Phy. Soc. Japan,39: 1082–1091. CrossRef
- Schilling, H. D. (1982),J. Atmos. Sci,39: 998–1017.
- Tung, K. K. and K. S. Lindzen (1979a),Mon. Wea. Rev.,107: 1205–1216.
- Algebraic rossby solitary wave and blocking in the atmosphere
Advances in Atmospheric Sciences
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 445-454
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links