Analytical study on impingement heat transfer with single-phase free-surface circular liquid jets
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An analytical research was conducted to study heat transfer from horizontal surfaces to normally impinging circular jets under arbitrary-heat-flux conditions. The laminar thermal and hydraulic boundary layers were divided into five regions of flow. General expressions of heat transfer coefficients were obtained in all the four regions of stagnation and wall jet zones before the hydraulic jump.
- Martin, H., “Heat and Mass Transfer Between Impinging Gas Jets and Solid Surfaces,” in Advance in Heat Transfer,13, eds. J.P. Hartnett and T.F. Irvine, pp.1–60, Academic Press, (1977). CrossRef
- Martin, H., “Impinging Jets”, in «Heat Exchanger Design Handbook»,2, pp.220.127.116.11–18.104.22.168, Hemisphere, (1983).
- Dovns, S.J. and James, E.H., “Jet Impingement Heat Transfer-A Literature Survey,” ASME paper 87-HT-35, (1987).
- Kiryu, M., “Development of Oil-Cooled 750cc Motorcycle Engine,”Automobile Technology (in Japanese),40, No.9, pp.1154–1158, (1986).
- Ma, C.F., Sun, H., Auracher, H. and Gomi, T., “Local Convective Heat Transfer from Vertical Heat Surfaces to Impinging Circular Jets,” Proceedings of the Ninth International Heat Transfer Conference, Hemisphere,2, pp.441–446, (1990).
- Ma, C.F. and Bergles A.E., “Convective Heat Transfer on a small Vertical Heated Surfaces in an Impinging Circular Jets,” in «Heat Transfer Science and Technology 1988», Edited by B.X. Wang, Hemisphere, pp.193–200, (1990).
- Ma, C.F., Tien, Y.C., Sun, H., Lei, D.H. and Bergles, A.E., “Local Characteristics of Heat Transfer from Vertical Heat Surfaces to Impinging Round Jet of Larger Pr Number,” in «Heat Transfer Enhancement and Energy Conservation», Edited by S.J. Deng, Hemisphere, pp.223–229, (1990).
- Jiji, L.M. and Dagan, Z., “Experiment Investigation of Single Phase Multi-Jet Impingement Cooling of an Array of Microelectronic Heat Sources,” in «Cooling Technology for Electronic Equipment», Edited by Win Aung, Hemisphere Publishing Corp., pp.332–352, (1988).
- Ma, C.F. and Bergles, A.E., “Boiling Jet Impingement Cooling of Simulated Microelectronic Chips,” ASME Publication HTD-28, pp.5–12, (1983).
- Kohing, F.C., “Waterwall: Water Cooling systems,”Iron-Steel Engineer,62, pp.30–36, June, (1985).
- Ma, C.F., Yu, J., Lei, D.H., Gan, Y.P., Tsou, F.K. and Auracher, H., “Transient Jet Boiling Heat Transfer on Hot Surfaces,” in Mutiphase Flow and Heat Transfer-Second Int. Symposium, Edited by X.J. Chen et al, Hemisphere,1, pp.349–357, (1990).
- Maddox, D.E. and Bar-Cohen, A., “Thermofluid Design of Submerged-Jet Impingement Cooling for Electronic Components,” ASME HTD-171, pp71–80, (1991).
- Watson, E.J., “The Radial Spread of a Liquid Jet Over a Horizontal Plate,”J. Fluid Mech.,20, Part 3, pp.481–449, (1964). CrossRef
- Chaudhury, Z.H., “Heat Transfer in a Radial Liquid Jet,”J. Fluid Mech.,20, Part 3, pp.501–511, (1964). CrossRef
- Yonehara, N. and Ito, I., “Cooling Characteristics of Impinging Multiple Water Jets on a Horizontal Plate,” Technol. Report, Kansas University, No.24, Mar. (1983).
- Zhao, Y.H. and Ma, C.F., “Analytical Study of Heat Transfer with Single Circular Free Jets under Arbitrary-Heat-Flux Condition,”J. of Beijing Poly. Univ. (in Chinese),15, No.3, pp.77–13, (1989).
- Liu, X., Lienhard, V.J.H. and Lombara, J.S., “Convective Heat Transfer by Impingement of Circular Liquid Jets,”J. Heat Transfer,113, pp.571–582, (1991). CrossRef
- Stevens, J. and Webb, B.W., “Local Heat Transfer Coefficients under an Axisymmetric Single-Phase Liquid Jet,” ASME HTD-111, Heat Transfer in Electronics, pp.113–119, (1989).
- White, F.M., «Viscous Fluid Flow», McGRAW-HILL Book Company, pp.264–270, (1974).
- Brun, E.A., «Selected Combustion Problems», II, AGARD, Pergamon, London, pp.185–198, (1956).
- Ma, C.F., Zheng, Q., Lee, S.C. and Gomi, T., “Impingement Heat Transfer and Recovery Effect with Submerged Jets of Large Prandtl Number Liquid - Part 1, Unconfined Circular Jets,” Accepted byInt. J. Heat Mass Transfer, (paper No. HMT1156).
- Lee, S.C., Ma, C.F., Zhuang, Y. and Tian, Y.Q., “Numerical Study of Recovery Effect and Impingement Heat Transfer with Submerged Circular Jets of Large Prandtl Number Liquid,” Accepted byInt. J. Heat Mass Transfer, (paper No. HMT 1350).
- Analytical study on impingement heat transfer with single-phase free-surface circular liquid jets
Journal of Thermal Science
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 271-277
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- jet impingement
- convective heat transfer
- boundary layer theory
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Beijing Polytechnic University, 100022, Beijing, China
- 2. Institute of Advanced Material Study, Kyushu University, 816, Kasuga, Japan
- 3. Kyushu Institute of Technology, 804, Kitakyushu, Japan
- 4. Sophia University, 102, Tokyo, Japan