Characterization of hot deformation behavior of brasses using processing maps: Part II. β Brass and α-β brass
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The hot deformation behaviors of β brass in the temperature range of 550°C to 800°C and α-β brass in the temperature range of 450°C to 800°C have been characterized in the strain rate range of 0.001 to 100 s−1 using processing maps developed on the basis of the Dynamic Materials Model. The map for β brass revealed a domain of superplasticity in the entire temperature range and at strain rates lower than 1 s−1, with a maximum efficiency of power dissipation of about 68 pct. The temperature variation of the efficiency of power dissipation in the domain is similar to that of the diffusion coefficient for zinc in β brass, confirming that the diffusion-accommodated flow controls the superplasticity. The material undergoes microstructural instability in the form of adiabatic shear bands and strain markings at temperatures lower than 700°C and at strain rates higher than 10 s−1. The map for α-β brass revealed a wide domain for processing in the temperature range of 550°C to 800°C and at strain rates lower than 1 s−1, with a maximum efficiency of 54 pct occurring at about 750°C and 0.001 s−1. In the domain, the α phase undergoes dynamic recrystallization and controls the hot deformation of the alloy, while the β phase deforms superplastically. At strain rates greater than 1 s−1, α-β brass exhibits microstructural instabilities manifested as flow rotations at lower temperatures and localized shear bands at higher temperatures.
- D. Padmavardhani and Y. V. R. K. Prasad:Metall. Trans. A, 1991, vol. 22A, pp. 2985–92.
- P. Griffiths and C. Hammond:Acta Metall., 1972, vol. 20, pp. 935–45. CrossRef
- Y. V. R. K. Prasad, H. L. Gegel, S. M. Doraivelu, J. C. Malas, J. T. Morgan, K. A. Lark, and D. R. Barker:Metall. Trans. A, 1984, vol. 15A, pp. 1883–92.
- H. L. Gegel, J. C. Malas, S. M. Doraivelu, and V. A. Shende:Metals Handbook, 9th ed., ASM INTERNATIONAL, Metals Park, OH, 1987, vol. 14, pp. 417–38.
- J. M. Alexander: inModelling of Hot Deformation of Steels, J. G. Lenard, ed., Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1989, pp. 101–15.
- U. S. Landergren, C. E. Birchenall, and R. F. Mehl:J. Met., 1956, vol. 8, pp. 73–78.
- A. A. Presnyakov and G. V. Starikova:Fiz. Metal. Metalloved., 1961, vol. 12, pp. 873–78.
- C. S. Barrett:J. Met., 1954, vol. 6, pp. 1003–08.
- S. Sagat, P. Blenkinsop, and D. M. R. Taplin:J. Inst. Met., 1972, vol. 100, pp. 268–74.
- T. Chandra, J. J. Jonas, and D. M. R. Taplin:J. Mater. Sci., 1978, vol. 13, pp. 2380–84. CrossRef
- C. W. Humphries and N. Ridely:J. Mater. Sci., 1978, vol. 13, pp. 2477–82. CrossRef
- M. Suery and B. Baudelet:J. Mater. Sci., 1973, vol. 8, pp. 363–69. CrossRef
- D. M. R. Taplin and D. Chandra:J. Mater. Sci., 1975, vol. 10, pp. 1642–43. CrossRef
- T. Chandra, J. J. Jonas, and D. M. R. Taplin:J. Mater. Sci., 1976, vol. 11, pp. 1843–48. CrossRef
- M. Suery and B. Baudelet:Phil. Mag. A, 1980, vol. 41, pp. 41–64. CrossRef
- W. Roberts and R. Otterberg:Microstructure Evolution in Association with Hot Working of a Dezincification-Resistant α/β Brass, Swedish Institute of Metals Research Report No. 1362, Stockholm, 1979;also see W. Roberts: InDeformation Processing and Structure, G. Krauss, ed., ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1984, pp. 109–84.
- Jacqueline Hennaut, Jacqueline Othmazouri, and Jacques Charlier:Z. Metallkd., 1984, vol. 75, pp. 667–72.
- A. K. S. Kalyan Kumar: M. Sc. (Engg.) Thesis, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India, 1987/
- H. Ziegler: inProgress in Solid Mechanics, I.N. Sneddon and R. Hill, eds. North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1963, pp. 93–193.
- R. Raj:Metall. Trans. A., 1981, vol. 12A, pp. 1089–97.
- M. F. Ashby and R. A. Verall:Acta Metall., 1973, vol. 21, pp. 149–63. CrossRef
- Y. V. R. K. Prasad, H. L. Gegel, J. T. Morgan, J. C. Malas, S. M. Doraivelu, and D. R. Barker: inTitanium Net Shape Technologies, F. H. Froes and D. Eylon, eds., TMS-AIME, Warrendale, PA, 1984, pp. 279–89.
- S. M. L. Sastry, R. L. Lederich, T. C. Mackay, and W. R. Kerr:J. Met., 1983, vol. 35, p. 48.
- M. Mayer, D. Vohringer, and E. Macherauch: inStrength of Metals and Alloys, ICSMA 5 P. Haasen, V. Gerold, and G. Kostorz, eds., Pergamon Press, New York, NY, 1979, vol. 2, pp. 807–12.
- T. Chandra, J. J. Jonas, and D. M. R. Taplin:Z. Metallkd., 1977, vol. 68, pp. 546–49.
- Characterization of hot deformation behavior of brasses using processing maps: Part II. β Brass and α-β brass
Metallurgical Transactions A
Volume 22, Issue 12 , pp 2993-3001
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors