Cu-C and Al-Cu-C phase diagrams and thermodynamic properties of c in the alloys from 1550 °C to 2300 °C
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Cu-C and Al-Cu-C phase diagrams were determined at 1550 °C to 2300 °C by chemical and X-ray diffraction analyses of alloys saturated with carbon within sealed graphite crucibles. Isothermal sections for the ternary system were determined at intervals of 150 °C over the range of temperatures investigated. The univariant points in atomic percent on the 1700 °C, 1850 °C, and 2000 °C isotherms are 70.7Al-28.9Cu-0.4C, 74.4Al-24.0Cu-1.6C, and 78.3Al-17.0Cu-4.7C, respectively, as determined by metallographic examination of rapidly cooled alloys. Graphite and Al4C3 (decomposition temperature 2156 °C) were the only solid phases observed at these temperatures. The excess partial Gibbs energy for dissolved carbon in the liquid Al-Cu-C solutions in equilibrium with C, as calculated from the experimental solubilities, is¯ G c e = - RT lnx =y 2[176,860 - 55.42T - (224,200 - 110.84T)x] +z 2[237,000 - 48.61T] +yz[320,510 - 36.77T + (30,180 + 35.10T)z + (51,570 - 74.13T)yz + (246,400 - 88.04T)yz 2 - 60,000], J/g atom where R is the gas constant,T is the temperature in K, andx, y, andz are the atomic fractions of C, Al, and Cu, respectively. The equation also is a good approximation for liquid solutions in equilibrium with A14C3.
- L.L. Oden and R.A. McCune:Metall. Trans. A, 1987, vol. 18A, pp. 2005–14.
- L.L. Oden:Metall. Trans. A, 1989, vol. 20A, pp. 2703–06.
- W.J. Howell, C. A. Eckert, and R. N. Anderson:J. Met., 1988, vol. 40 (7), pp. 21–23.
- R.A. Frank, C.W. Finn, and J.F. Elliott:Metall. Trans. B, 1989, vol. 20B, pp. 161–73.
- E.H. Cowles, C.F. Mabery, and A.H. Cowles: United States Patent Nos. 324,658 and 324,659, 1885.
- P.T. Stroup:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1964, vol. 230, p. 367.
- M.B. Bever and C.F. Floe:Trans. AIME, 1946, vol. 166, pp. 128–41.
- C.J. Smithells:Metals Reference Book, Interscience, New York, NY, 1955, vol. 1, p. 346.
- M. Hansen:Constitution of Binary Alloys, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1958.
- P.R. Subramanian and D.E. Laughlin:Bull. Alloy Phase Diag., 1991, in press.
- M.C. Sneed and R.C. Brasted:Comprehensive Inorganic Chemistry, Van Nostrand, Princeton, NJ, vol. 2, 1954, p. 111.
- N.A. Gokcen:Statistical Thermodynamics of Alloys, Plenum Press, New York, NY, 1986, pp. 15–23.
- I. Obinata and N. Kumatsu:Keikinzoku, 1964, vol. 14, pp. 226–30.
- R.P. Elliott:Constitution of Binary Alloys, lst Suppl., McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, 1965.
- O. Ruff and B. Bergdahl:Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem., 1919, vol. 106, pp. 76–94. CrossRef
- R.B. McLellan:Scripta Metall., 1969, vol. 3, pp. 389–91. CrossRef
- R.B. McLellan: Rice University, private communication, 1990.
- K. Itagaki and A. Yazawa:Trans. Jpn. Inst. Met., 1975, vol. 16 (11), pp. 679–686.
- T.C. Wilder:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1965, vol. 223, pp. 1202–08.
- R. Hultgren, P.D. Desai, D.T. Hawkins, M. Gleiser, and K.K. Kelley:Selected Values of the Thermodynamic Properties of Binary Alloys, ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1973, pp. 151–55.
- V.M. Sandakov, Y.O. Esin, P.V. Gel’d, and V.D. Shantarin:Zh. Fiz. Khim., 1971, vol, 45 (8), pp. 2030–32.
- G.I. Batalin, E.A. Beloborodova, and V.N. Vasil’ev:Urk. Khi. Zh., 1972, vol. 38 (9), pp. 920–23.
- N.A. Gokcen and M.R. Baren:Metall. Trans. A, 1985, vol. 16A, pp. 907–11.
- Cu-C and Al-Cu-C phase diagrams and thermodynamic properties of c in the alloys from 1550 °C to 2300 °C
Metallurgical Transactions B
Volume 23, Issue 4 , pp 453-458
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors