Low cycle fatigue behavior of René 80 at elevated temperature
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Low cycle fatigue of René 80 was studied at 871 and 982 °C. It was found that when the data were represented on the basis of plastic strain, the life increased with decreasing frequency and imposition of a 90 s hold at maximum strain. Transmission electron microscopy studies showed that the ′ coarsened and an interfacial array of edge dislocations developed. The density of dislocations in the matrix was very low. Light optical microscopy revealed that cracks generally inititiated at oxide spikes in surface connected grain boundaries. A crack initiation criterion based on the maximum stress and oxide depth at the time of crack initiation was found to represent the data very well. Based on that representation, an expression for the initiation fatigue life was developed. That expression includes temperature, frequency and cyclic stress strain parameters as variables.
- S. S. Manson: ASTM STP 520, 1973, p. 744.
- L. F. Coffin:Proc. Second International Conf. on Mech. Behavior of Materials, p. 866, ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1976.
- S. Majumdar and P. S. Maiya:Proc. ASME-MPC Symposium on Creep-Fatigue Interaction, MPC-3, p. 323, ASME, N.Y., 1976.
- W. Ostergren:J. Test. Eval., 1976, vol.4, p.327. CrossRef
- AGARD Conference Proceedings, AGARD-CP-243, 1978.
- L. F. Coffin, S. S. Manson, A. E. Carden, and L. K. Severud: ORNL Report # 5073, Jan. 1977.
- M. Gell and G. R. Leverant: ASTM STP 520, 1973, p. 37.
- Stephen D. Antolovich:La Fatigue des materiaux et des structures, C. Bathias and J. P. Bailon, eds., p. 465, Maloine S. A., Paris, 1980.
- Stephen D. Antolovich, P. Domas, and J. L. Strudel:Met. Trans A, 1979, vol. 10A, p. 1859.
- C. E. Feltner and C. Laird:Acta. Metall., 1967, vol. 15, p. 1621. CrossRef
- R. E. Stoltz and A. G. Pineau:J. Mater. Sci. Eng., 1978, vol. 31, p. 275.
- D. Fournier and A. Pineau:Met. Trans A, 1977, vol. 8A, p. 1095.
- E. Rosa: M. S. Thesis, University of Cincinnati, 1978.
- A. Lasalmonie and J. L. Strudel:Philos. Mag., 1975, vol. 32, p.937.
- Stephen D. Antolovich, Eduardo Rosa, and André Pineau:Mater. Sci. Eng., in press.
- Stephen D. Antolovich and N. Jayaraman: Paper presented at the 27th Army Materials Research Conference, Lake George, NY, July, 1980. Paper in press in the conference proceedings.
- Stephen D. Antolovich, R. Baur, and S. Liu:Superalloys 1980, J. K. Tien, S. T. Wlodek, H. Morrow III, M. Gell, and G. E. Maurer, eds., p. 605, ASM, 1980.
- Low cycle fatigue behavior of René 80 at elevated temperature
Metallurgical Transactions A
Volume 12, Issue 3 , pp 473-481
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors