The plastic deformation of TiAl
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The deformation substructure of TiAl (Llo type ordered lattice) tested in compression, and the factors determining it were investigated. Two types of dislocations take part in the plas-tic deformation, namely a/2  and a/2 [Oil]. The latter type will disorder the Llo super-lattice and therefore would be expected to move in pairs as superdislocations. Some obser-vations are essentially in agreement with the predictions, however the large proportion and morphology of a/2 [O1l] dislocations observed was unexpected. Twins of the  (111) type play an important role in the deformation of the alloy, and the early stages of their formation have been recorded. Finally, equi-Schmid factor lines have been constructed in an attempt to evaluate the importance of the sense of the applied stress on the deformation capability of the alloy.
- McAndrew, J. B., Kessler, H. D. (1956) J. Metals 8: pp. 1348-1348
- Marcinkowski, M. J., Brown, N., Fisher, R. M. (1961) Acta Met. 9: pp. 129-129 CrossRef
- T. R. Cass and W. R. Spencer: Technical Report AFMLTR-69-293, Dec. 1969.
- Pashley, D. W., Robertson, J. L., Stowell, M. J. (1969) Phil. Mag. 19: pp. 83-83
- Blackburn, M. J., Williams, J. C. (1967) Trans. TMS-AIME 239: pp. 287-287
- M. J. Blackburn:The Science Technology and Application of Titanium, R. Jaffee and N. Promisel, eds., Pergamon Press, 1970.
- Ence, E., Margolin, H. (1961) Trans. TMS-AIME 221: pp. 151-151
- M. J. Marcinkowski:Electron Microscopy and Strength of Crystals, G. Thomas and J. Washbum, eds., Interscience Publishers, 1963.
- The plastic deformation of TiAl
Volume 5, Issue 6 , pp 1373-1381
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors