Icosahedral and decagonal phase formation in Al-Mn alloys
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The solidification conditions leading to the formation of the icosahedral phase in Al-Mn alloys have been investigated, using samples prepared by melt spinning and electron beam surface melting. It is found that the icosahedral phase can grow with a range of compositions, but that it grows in competition with another metastable phase which is decagonal. Both of these phases can displace the equilibrium intermetallic phases by nucleating ahead of them in the melt when the solidification velocity is greater than a few centimeters per second. The relative abundance of the icosahedral and decagonal phases varies with composition and solidification rate. Icosahedral crystals in electron beam melt trails are often about 25 μm in diameter, and they grow dendritically along a preferred crystallographic direction.
- D. Shechtman, I. Blech, D. Gratias, and J. W. Cahn:Phys. Rev. Lett., 1984, vol. 53, pp. 1951–53. CrossRef
- H. W. L. Phillips:J. Inst. Metals, 1943, vol. 69, pp. 275–316.
- M. A. Taylor:Acta Metall., 1960, vol. 8, pp. 256–62. CrossRef
- J. A. Bland:Acta Cryst., 1958, vol. 11, pp. 236–44. CrossRef
- T. Gödecke and W. Kösten:Z. Metall., 1971, vol. 62, pp. 727–32.
- J. H. Perepezko and W. J. Boettinger:Mat. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc., 1983, vol. 19, pp. 223–34.
- W. Hofmann:Aluminium (Berlin), 1938, vol. 20, pp. 865–72.
- A. J. McAllister: unpublished research, National Bureau of Standards, 1985.
- H. Jones:Aluminium, 1978, vol. 54, pp. 274–81.
- D. Shechtman, R. J. Schaefer, and F. S. Biancaniello:Metall. Trans. A, 1984, vol. 15A, pp. 1987–97.
- D. Shechtman and I. Blech:Metall. Trans. A, 1985, vol. 16A, pp. 1005–12.
- A. D. I. Nicol:Acta Cryst., 1953, vol. 6, pp. 285–93. CrossRef
- J. A. Eady, L. M. Hogan, and P. G. Davies:J. Aust. Inst. Met., 1975, vol. 20, pp. 23–32.
- L. Bendersky, R. J. Schaefer, F. S. Biancaniello, W. J. Boettinger, M. J. Kaufmann, and D. Shechtman:Scripta Met., 1985, vol. 19, pp. 909–14. CrossRef
- L. Bendersky:Phys. Rev. Lett., 1985, vol. 55, pp. 1461–63. CrossRef
- R. J. Schaefer and L. Bendersky:Scripta Met., 1986, vol. 20, pp. 745–50. CrossRef
- M. J. Aziz:J. Appl. Phys., 1982, vol. 53, p. 1158. CrossRef
- L. A. Bursill and Peng Ju Lin:Nature, 1985, vol. 316, pp. 50–51. CrossRef
- R. J. Schaefer, W. J. Boettinger, F. S. Biancaniello, D. Shechtman, and L. Bendersky: APS March Meeting, Baltimore, MD, March 1985.
- Icosahedral and decagonal phase formation in Al-Mn alloys
Metallurgical Transactions A
Volume 17, Issue 12 , pp 2117-2125
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Metallurgy Division, National Bureau of Standards, 20899, Gaithersburg, MD
- 2. Center for Materials Science, The Johns Hopkins University, 21218, Baltimore, MD
- 3. Department of Materials Engineering, Technion, Haifa, Israel
- 4. Center for Materials Science, The Johns Hopkins University, 21218, Baltimore, MD