Correlation among microstructure, strength, and electrical conductivity of Cu-Ni-Be alloy
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The UNS C17510 commercial Cu-Ni-Be alloy was heat treated in three different ways: AT, simple aging; HT, aging in the hardened condition; and TMT, a special thermo-mechanical treatment. It was found that in the electrical conductivity range of 50 to 60 pct IACS the TMT treatment results in a much higher yield strength than either the AT or the HT treatments. Three types of particles have been identified: relatively large primary beryllides, very small -γ precipitates, and small non-coherent nickel-rich beryllides (NRB). Based on measurements of the size distribution of NRB pre-cipitates and by means of an existing theoretical model, it was shown that these precipitates together with a dense dislocation network are responsible for the increased strength of the alloy follow-ing TMT.
- A. Rotem and A. Rosen:Metall. Trans. A, 1985, vol. 16A, pp. 2073–77.
- See, for example: L. M. Brown: “Precipitation and Dispersion Hard- ening,”Proc. of the 5th Int. Conf. on the Strength of Metals and Al- loys, Aachen, W. Germany, Aug. 1979.
- A. Deruyttere:ATB Metallurgie, 1977, vol. 17, pp. 73–83.
- A. Guha, K. B. Alexander, and D. E. Laughlin: TMS-AIME Fall Meeting, St. Louis, MO, Oct. 1982.
- A. Guha: TMS-AIME Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, March 1984.
- M. F. Ashby:Z. Metallic., 1964, vol. 55, pp. 5–17.
- M. Wilhelm:Mat. Sci. Eng., 1981, vol. 48, pp. 91–106. CrossRef
- V. Gerold and D. Steiner:Scripta Metall., 1982, vol. 16, pp. 405–08. CrossRef
- D. Steiner, R. Beddoe, V. Gerold, G. Kostorz, and R. Schmelczer:Scripta Metall., 1983, vol. 17, pp. 733–36. CrossRef
- W. Gruhl and V. Gruhl:Metall., 1954, vol. 8, pp. 20–23.
- Correlation among microstructure, strength, and electrical conductivity of Cu-Ni-Be alloy
Metallurgical Transactions A
Volume 19, Issue 9 , pp 2279-2285
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors