Metal loss to slag: Part I. Sulfidic and oxidic dissolution of copper in fayalite slag from low grade matte
- M. Nagamori
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An experimental technique to prepare slags free from suspended matte was developed and applied to measure the solubility of copper in Fe- and SiO2-saturated fayalite slag at 1200°C. The copper solubility was found to be considerably greater than that attributed to oxidic loss assessed from the work of Ruddleet al and also greater than that in previously-studied slags containing sulfur together with lime or alumina. The solubility was related to the presence of sulfur in the slag, and the concept of sulfidic dissolution was developed on the basis of thermodynamic properties of matte and slag. The model was applied to commercial slag-matte systems, and the reduction of sulfur solubility by changing the slag composition was concluded to be the key in reducing copper losses to slag, especially for mattes containing less than 50 pct Cu.
- R. W. Ruddle, B. Taylor, and A. P. Bates:Trans. Inst. Mining Met., 1966, vol. 75C,pp. 1–12.
- J. M. Toguri and N. H. Santander:Can. Met. Quart., 1969, vol. 8, pp. 167–71.
- J. M. Toguri and N. H. Santander:Met. Trans., 1972, vol. 3, pp. 586–88.
- R. Altman and H. H. Kellogg:Trans. Inst. Mining Met, 1972, vol. 81C, pp. 163–75.
- F. Sehnalek and I. Imris:Advances in Extractive Metallurgy and Refining, M. J. Jones, ed., pp. 39–62, Inst. Mining Metal., London, 1972.
- A. Yazawa and M. Kameda:Tech. Rep., Tohoku Univ., Japan, 1954, vol. 19, pp. 1–22.
- F. Y. Bor and P. Tarassoff:Can. Met. Quart., 1971, vol. 10, pp. 267–71.
- M. Kameda and A. Yazawa:Physical Chemistry of Process Metallurgy, P. Queneau, ed., Part 2, pp. 963–88, Interscience, New York, 1959.
- P. Spira and N. J. Themelis:J. Metals, April 1969, pp. 35–42.
- A. Yazawa:Nippon Kogyo Kaishi (Japan), 1960, vol. 76, pp. 559–64.
- E. F. Osborn and A. Muan:Phase Equilibrium Diagrams of Oxide Systems, Plate 6, The System FeO-Fe2O3-SiO2, Amer. Ceram. Soc, Columbus, Ohio, 1960.
- A. Yazawa and M. Kameda:Tech. Rep., Tohoku Univ., Japan, 1954, vol. 19, pp. 239–50.
- A. Muan:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1955, vol. 203, pp. 965–76.
- Schuhmann and P.J. Ensio:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1951, vol. 191, pp. 401–11.
- E.J. Michal and R. Schuhmann:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1952, vol. 194, pp. 723–8.
- J. Lumsden:Thermodynamics of Molten Salt Mixtures, p. 328, Academic Press, London, 1966.
- W. A. Krivsky and R. Schuhmann:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1957, vol. 209, pp. 981–88.
- M. Nagamori, T. Hatakeyama, and M. Kameda:Trans. Jap. Inst. Metals, 1970, vol. 11, pp. 190–94.
- R. Schuhmann and O.W. Moles:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1951, vol. 191, pp. 235–41.
- F. Johannsen and H. Vollmer:Erzmetall., 1960, vol. 13, pp. 313–22.
- L. S. Darken and R. W.Gurry:J. Amer. Chem. Soc, 1945, vol. 67, pp. 1398–1412; 1946, vol. 68, pp. 798–816. CrossRef
- J. F. Elliott and M. Gleiser:Thermochemistry for Steelmaking, Addison- Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1960.
- O. Kubaschewski, E. L1. Evans, and C. B. Alcock:Metallurgical Thermochemistry, Pergamon Press, New York, 1967.
- P. Spira: Noranda Research Center, Pointe Claire, Quebec, Unpublished Research, 1969.
- W. H. MacLean:Econ. Geol, 1969, vol. 64, pp. 865–84. CrossRef
- M. Nagamori:Met. Trans., 1974, vol. 5, pp. 539–48.
- Metal loss to slag: Part I. Sulfidic and oxidic dissolution of copper in fayalite slag from low grade matte
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 531-538
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- M. Nagamori (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centre de Recherche industrielle du Québec, Complexe Scientifique, Ste-Foy, Quebec, Canada