The low cycle fatigue of three wrought nickel-base alloys
- H. F. Merrick
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The low cycle fatigue behavior of three wrought nickel-base alloys, alloy 901, Waspaloy and alloy 718, has been examined at both room temperature and 811 K (1000°F). The fatigue properties can be rationalized in terms of the Manson-Coffin equation relating total strain range with the number of cycles to failure. For a given total strain range the fatigue life of the alloys at 811 K (1000°F) is substantially less than at room temperature. Microstructural examination revealed that crack nucleation and initial propagation was of classical stage I type. The cracks develop at the surface of test specimens and propagate along slip planes. Evidence is presented to relate the observed fatigue softening with shear and dissolution of γ precipitates.
- C. H. Wells and C. P. Sullivan:Tram. ASM, 1964, vol. 67, p. 841.
- C. H. Wells and C. P. Sullivan:Trans. ASM, 1965, vol. 58, p. 391.
- C. H. Wells and C. P. Sullivan:Trans. ASM, 1967, vol. 60, p. 217.
- C. H. Wells and C. P. Sullivan:Trans. ASM, 1968, vol. 61, p. 149.
- M. Gell and G. R. Leverant:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1968, vol. 242, p. 1869.
- G. R. Leverant and M. Gell:Trans. TMS-AIME, 1969, vol. 245, p. 1167.
- M. Gell, G. R. Leverant, and C. H. Wells:Achievement of High Fatigue Resistance in Metals and Alloys, p. 113, ASTM STP 467, 1970.
- L. F. Coffin, Jr.:Thermal and High-Strain Fatigue, Monograph and Report Series No. 32, p. 171, The Metals and Metallurgy Trust, 1967.
- T. Endo and J. Morrow:J. Mater., 1969, vol. 4, p. 159.
- C. H. Wells:Acta Met, 1969, vol. 17, p. 443. CrossRef
- L. F. Coffin, Jr.:J. Mater., 1971, vol. 6, p. 388.
- T. Broom, J. A. Mazza, and V. N. Whittaker:J. Inst. Metals, 1957-58, vol. 86, p. 17.
- J.B. Clark and A. J. McEvily:Acta Met., 1964, vol. 12, p. 81.
- C. Laird and G. Thomas:Int. J. Fract. Mech., 1967, vol. 3, p. 81.
- J. T. McGrath and W. J. Bratina:Phil Mag., 1965, vol. 12, p. 1293.
- D. V. Wilson and J. K. Tromans:Acta Met, 1970, vol. 18, p. 1197. CrossRef
- C. E. Feltner and P. Beardmore:Achievement of High Fatigue Resistance in Metals and Alloys, p. 77, ASTM STP 467,1970.
- The low cycle fatigue of three wrought nickel-base alloys
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 891-897
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- H. F. Merrick (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Paul D. Merica Research Laboratory, The International Nickel Company, Inc., Sterling Forest, 10901, Suffern, N.Y.