Measurement of the mechanical state of a low alloy steel at elevated temperature
- D. A. Woodford
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Load relaxation tests on a Cr-Mo-V steel are used to generate stress-strain rate curves at high temperature. It is shown that the mechanical state as described by these curves is sensitive to the deformation history, such that the alloy undergoes a hardening and subsequent softening as strain is accumulated. However, these changes are quite small in successive tests and it is shown that results at different temperatures can be made to coincide by a suitable translation of the strain rate scale at nearly constant mechanical state. The result is a stress-strain rate curve over about twelve orders of magnitude in strain rate so that initial creep rates at stresses far beyond the range covered at each temperature can be estimated.
A previously proposed analytical expression for similar data on high purity aluminum fits the present data surprisingly well. From this expression a mechanical state, or hardness parameter, σ*, is obtained. For any value of stress, the value of σ* and its associated parameter, ε*, uniquely define the strain rate.
- E. W. Hart:Acta Met., 1970, vol. 18, p. 599. CrossRef
- D. Lee and E. W. Hartr:Met. Trans., 1971, vol. 2, p. 1245. CrossRef
- D. Lee and D. A. Woodford:The Inhomogeneity of Plastic Deformation, ASM publication, 1973.
- E. W. Hart and H. D. Solomon:Acta Met, 1973, vol. 21, p. 295. CrossRef
- H. Yamada and C. Li:Met. Trans., 1973, vol. 4, p. 2133. CrossRef
- H. Yamada andC. Li:Rate Processes in Plastic Deformation, J. E. Dorn Memorial Symposium, ASM, to be published.
- G. Wire, H. Yamada, and C. Li:Acta Met., 1974, vol. 22, p. 505. CrossRef
- H. Yamada and C. Li:ActaMet., 1974, vol. 22, p. 249.
- E. W. Hart, C. Li, H. Yamada, and G. Wire: to appear as a chapter inConstitutive Equations in Plasticity, A. Argon, ed., MIT Press, 1974.
- P. P. Gillis and R. E. Medrano:J. Mater., 1971, vol. 6, no. 3, p. 514.
- R. M. Goldhoff and D. A. Woodford:ASTM, 1972, STP 515, p. 89.
- G. D. Branch,et al: Inst. Mech. Eng., 1973, p. 192.
- R. Viswanathan:J. Test. Eval, 1975, vol. 3, no. 2, p. 93. CrossRef
- E. W. Hart:Rate Processes in Plastic Deformation, J. E. Dorn Memorial Symposium, Chapter 11, J. C. M. Li, ed., Plenum Press, 1974, to be published.
- Measurement of the mechanical state of a low alloy steel at elevated temperature
Metallurgical Transactions A
Volume 6, Issue 9 , pp 1693-1697
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- D. A. Woodford (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Corporate Research and Development Center, General Electric Company, 12301, Schenectady, N.Y.